> On May 4, 2019, at 10:58 AM, Steven Wade <stevenwad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Internals team!
>
> I have an idea for a feature that I'd love to see in the language one day and
> wanted to run the idea by you all.
>
> The idea is to add a new magic method "__toArray()" that would allow a
> developer to specifiy how a class is cast to an array. The idea is the same
> mentality of __toString(), but, for arrays.
>
> I would personally love this feature and those I've run it by were also
> excited by the idea. So I'm soliciting feedback in hopes that things go well
> and I can officially write the RFC. As for implementation, Sara Golemon is
> awesome and while chatting a few months back, knocked out a proof-of-concept
> implementation
> <https://github.com/sgolemon/php-src/tree/experimental.toarray>.  There's
> still work to be done if this proposal gets to the RFC phase, but again, just
> gauging interest here.
>
> I appreciate any feedback you all can provide.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Steven Wade

Hi all, I wanted to re-ping the list to see if there is any more feedback on
this proposal? Any technical concerns or true BC changes?

This feature wouldn't be as exciting as the others in 7.4, but I think it'd be
a nice little helper, and the community feedback I've received from developers
has been positive, so I'd like to keep the conversation going.

--
Steven Wade
stevenwad...@gmail.com