On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 16:20, Kalle Sommer Nielsen <ka...@php.net> wrote:

> Greetings Internals
>
> Nikita and I would like to open the discussion for the RFC:
> "Deprecations for 7.4", this RFC targets a larger set of various
> features targeting for deprecation in 7.4 with the intention of
> removal in PHP 8.0.
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecations_php_7_4

The mention of "convert_cyr_string" here makes me want to revisit the
oft-abused "utf8encode" and "utf8decode" functions. The downside in all
cases is that PHP has no single correct function for encoding conversions,
with mbstring, intl, and iconv all offering slightly different
implementations, and all distributed as optional extensions.

Is there some way we can bless a single conversion function, in core, and
recommend that in deprecation notices?

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins