> While I realize my email is unpleasant for many to read, it's in the
context of an RFC that attempts to do something that is strictly
inappropriate and out of the question.  Stating the fact, that the RFC
process was never meant to allow this to be done, is a statement of fact.

[...]

> There won't be such processes either.  These behaviors are here to stay.
We can tweak them, we can augment them - we do not get to deprecate or
radically change them.

[...]

> But those who dream of simply changing PHP into a stricter language step
by step should understand that this is simply not going to be happen.  Not
now, not ever.

Zeev, "strictly inappropriate and out of the question" seems like a
statement of opinion to me. While I personally agree with your standpoint
on changing this fundamental behavior, your response here seems out of left
field.

Furthermore, statements like "we do not get to deprecate or radically
change them" and  "this is simply not going to happen" are a wholly
inappropriate response to *any* effort. I respect your vast contributions
to the language and your (usually) level-headed stances on this mailing
list, but you are not the grand czar of PHP and I don't believe that hard
line is yours to make. Declaring such a thing reads to me like a spit in
the face of everyone who contributes to the language and to the concept of
a community-driven open source project to begin with.

Over the past few years the movement to push PHP into more modern concepts
has explosively grown in popularity and your resistance to the more rapid
and drastic portions of it is understandable, if nothing else. However,
using your bully pulpit to insist that things you don't like can't be done
leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

If such limits exist, they should be clear and codified - not something
that exists in the mind of you and whoever else only to be brought up when
someone wants to breach them.