> What if Java suddenly said that all properties are suddenly private, and
> can only be accessed through getter/setter methods?

If Java announced that the next major version was to make the change after
95% of userland developers favoured it and over 2/3rds of their internals
team did, I'd think "huh ok I guess they have good reasons".

For 20 years people have developed code based on that feature. It was never
> considered an error, and often not even considered bad practice

You seem to be arguing against *ever* changing something that a majority
once thought was good, and fundamental to a given system. Lots of things
fall into that category - restricting voting to men, segregation, etc.