Le 12/09/2019 à 20:51, Peter Kokot a écrit :

> Just a dumb idea, since there clearly is a majority in favor of the
> change with these warnings and strictness and all that now... Why not
> making something like an LTS PHP 7.x where all the legacy code would
> work OK as long as practically possible and 8.x+ would be the future
> of what the developers want and not what business wants? One who won't
> upgrade due to the BC breaks also won't need the new features anyway
> very realistically.
>
> Microsoft, Zend, and Red Hat have been showing that this is actually
> possible. How smart this is for the PHP progress is another story, but
> for the business it might be good to think about this also I guess:
> https://github.com/microsoft/php-src/releases
>
> So, to make some sort of a milestone with some of the versions -
> either 8 or 9 or something.

This is chicken and eggs problem

"Maintained because used" or "used because maintained" ?

PHP 7 was a very good version, with good BC, and speed of adoption is
quite good.

But some users still old 5.x

>From download of my repo [1]

In January, ~35% for 5.6
In August, down to ~28%

IMHO, more BC breaks will mean more time to adapt code and more slow
adoption by users.

So Yes, we'll need a longer support time for 7.4, as we have extended
support for 5.6 by 1 year). Perhaps more will be needed for 7.4.

But yes, we are allowed to change things and dream of a perfect
language, like Perl 6...

Remi

[1] this are only numbers... from about 5k RPM download per day, and
probably artificially bigger for EOL versions, because I'm the only repo
to provide them.