On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 5:19 PM Kosit Supanyo <webdevxp....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ken
>
> I totally agree with Andreas especially:
>
> One purpose of the operator should be that you don't have to repeat
>> the variable. Here you do, e.g. $_SERVER['fname']
>

> But if this operator provide some way not to repeat the variable it will
> make sense. For example:
>
> $_SERVER['fname'] !??  $user->setName($$)

I asked Andreas for their opinion on why this is bad in this context?
Especially since if I were to use a traditional ternary or if condition,
then I'd still be repeating the variable.

> But I think this functionality should be of something like pipeline
> operator:
>
> // send tmp variable to the next expression unconditionally
> $ret = $_SERVER['fname'] |>  $user->setName($$);
> // send tmp variable to the next expression only when $_SERVER['fname'] is
> set.
> $ret = $_SERVER['fname'] ?|>  $user->setName($$);
>
> Also the syntax like above will be consistent with the proposed
> safe-navigation operators.

I'm more interested in having a negation operator for the null-coalescing
operator, especially since cognatively it should be easy to discern what it
does. I've personally not seen |>, and I'd be confused as to what it does
(e.g., is it a bitwise OR on a greater than comparison?).

Thank you! The idea of $$ is neat, but not quite what I'm trying to achieve
here. If anything, wouldn't that facilitate a different RFC?

- Ken Stanley