On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 6:01 PM Mark Randall <marand...@php.net> wrote:

> On 24/10/2019 22:52, Ken Stanley wrote:
> > I'm more interested in having a negation operator for the null-coalescing
> > operator, especially since cognatively it should be easy to discern what
> it
> > does.
>
> At the point your syntax ends up looking like you're screaming at your
> source code, I think easy cognition has likely gone out the window.
>
> There are plenty of much more expressive ways of doing this without
> introducing new syntax IMHO.

Mark,

Yes, the operator would be new as in it doesn’t exist, but it’s not new in
the fact that it is simply a negation of an existing operator.

I would be keen to see the more expressive techniques that retain the
succinctness of having a not-null coalescing operator.

I can certainly appreciate the hesitation to introduce more syntax.
However, I am arguing that this particular case is merely an extension
(compliment) of the existing null-coalescing operator and therefore it’s
not truly new; especially since !== null is a very common comparison used
in programming.

> Mark Randall
>
> --

Thank you.

> `|>` is not something new it appeared in many languages long time ago (in
some forms). JavaScript also has a proposal of it. And PHP someone has
already proposed one.
> https://github.com/tc39/proposal-pipeline-operator
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/pipe-operator

Kosit,

Thank you. In this case I’d still argue that my proposed operator, for what
I’m intending it to be, is the better solution.

I appreciate that my example might not have been the best, but I wanted to
demonstrate one possible usage out of many that could be used to easily
solve the same problem of needing to do “something” based on a non-null
value.

Thank you!
--
"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the
light." — Dylan Thomas