I would add tablets to that mix, Rob...the same operating systems run
both devices, so the technologists get extra bang for their
investment.  Plus they get to send us ads and other collateral
material if they control the apps we use.

I wonder what's unique about TuneIn's business model (if anything)
that enables them to navigate this process more deftly?  Are they
paying content providers for the privilege of linking to their
streams?  Did Reciva do this as well?

But as you say, the legacy standalone devices that Kim Elliott mused
about 15-odd years ago have generally become digital detritus...

RC