Location: Göttingen (Germany)
Date: 6.–7.2.2014
Deadline: 21.10.2013

It is widely recognized that many present-day societies have become
increasingly diverse. This analysis/observation usually refers to
three phenomena: a) due mainly to migration, the populations of
cities and nation states now encompass people of a wider range of
backgrounds, ethnic and religious identification; b) the link between
particular class backgrounds, as well as between gender, and
particular life styles and normative orientations has become weaker
and a broader range of such orientations are tolerated; c) equal
rights for those of minority sexual orientations and the disabled are
demanded more vocally, and such demands are increasingly accepted as
legitimate.

How far (and in what ways) do such changes challenge existing
organisations and institutions, how do they deal with them, and how
can we account for differing responses?

Existing research has charted the rise of diversity management and
diversity programmes. Their often superficial character and the
subordination of equal-opportunities-demands under profit interests –
the so called business case – have been much criticized. While
attention so far has focussed on the economic sphere, this workshop
looks at public and political organisations/institutions and the
relevant institutional fields in which they are embedded. Often such
organisations/institutions claim to pursue a universalistic approach
(education for all children) or to address mainly one
differentiation. A recognition of, and active response to, diversity
may be perceived as conflicting with such orientations and may run
against the operational logics of an organisation. We are
particularly interested in work on city administrations, welfare
state institutions (e.g. in health, higher education) and political
organisations (parties, NGOs). We do not restrict the scope of the
discussion to particular countries.

Further, we would like to test the usefulness of “diversity” as an
analytical concept. Is “diversity” more than a slogan or buzz word of
companies or state institutions we then critically examine? Is it
mainly an umbrella term for different equal-rights demands of
underprivileged groups? Do organisations indeed respond to
“diversity”, or do we thus merge rather different processes and
challenges? And how and when is it helpful to examine what may be
seen as a set of complex phenomena as one phenomenon, i.e.
“diversity” (or difference, heterogeneity, social inequality.....)?

We invite papers that either offer a discussion of such questions or
present examples of an analytical engagement with the interaction of
organisations/institutions with “diversity”.

The planned event will be a workshop in the sense of a meeting of
about 20 to 30 people with plenty of time for discussions. We
envisage oral presentations of about 20 minutes and written summaries
or full papers (1500 – 5000 words) to be submitted one month before
the event. English will be the working language. Participants will
come from different disciplinary backgrounds.

The workshop will be held in Göttingen, Germany, on 6 and 7 February
2014.

Colleagues interested in presenting a paper at the workshop should
send an abstract of about 400 to 600 words and a brief biographical
note. It would be helpful if you could indicate how the suggested
paper relates to a larger context (i.e. presents the results of a PhD
dissertation, a section of a larger project on ...., is based on
fieldwork in .., a survey of 37 NGOs, etc.). Please send your
abstracts until 21 October 2013, you will be notified early in
November whether your paper has been accepted. Travel and
accommodation costs for those giving papers can be subsidised.

Contact:

Karen Schönwälder
Max-Planck-Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity
Hermann-Föge-Weg 11
D-37073 Göttingen
Germany
Tel.: +49 (0)551 4956-129