Location: Middelburg (Netherlands)
Date: 19.6.–5.7.2018
Deadline: 22.5.2018

The Middelburg Decolonial Summer School, in its ninth year, will
continue to explore the question 'What does it mean to decolonize?'
with a focus on the 'Others of Europe'. We will walk around praxis of
living in harmony and plenitude that call the universality of western
democracy and its Eurocentric legacy into question. All in
collaboration with numerous guest lecturers from Europe and beyond.

By Others of Europe we understand both the other Europes inside,
silenced and shattered by the narratives of modernity (Roma, Gitanos,
Gaelic, African Diaspora, Suomi, immigrants,...) as well as the
others of Europe outside (first nations and indigenous from Africa,
the Americas and Asia). The others of Europe is also the
non-Eurocentered Europe within European territories, as well as the
critique of Eurocentrism in Africa, Asia and the Americas.
Eurocentrism is not a geographic but a complex set and flows of
believes, knowledges and affects (sensing) still orienting the life
of billions of people.

By Democracy we understand both the Eurocentered name and vision of
living together in harmony and the pretext to impose European vision
of governance to the rest of the planet. Therefore we do not take
democracy for granted as we confront it with the Euro-US
un-democratic politics towards the other Europe and the others of
Europe. What “decolonizing democracy” may mean will be explored in
relation to the double trajectory of the Others of Europe: its
internal and external subjugated people's.

The resurgence of Ubuntu in Africa, of Sumak Kawsay in South America,
of He in China, of Ummah in Islamic communities allows us to think
that pluriversal visions of governmentality and of conviviality are
possible. The first decolonial step to move towards pluriversality is
to decenter and humble the Eurocentric universal rhetoric of
democracy in order to liberate alternative praxis of living in
harmony.

Could we envision communal and global orders predicated in
pluriversality rather than in universality? Could we think beyond the
categories of Western civilization learning from non-European
cultures, civilizations and traditions that the rhetoric of modernity
silenced, disavowed and deligitimized? Can we envision praxis of
living that allow for co-existing alternatives?

Course Director:
Rolando Vazquez

Lecturers:
Walter Mignolo (Duke University)
Rolando Vazquez (UCR)

Guest Faculty to be confirmed:
- Jean Casimir (Haiti; State University of Haiti)
- Maria Lugones (Argentina/US; State University of New York)
- Fabian Barba (Ecuador; Busy Rocks)
- Jeannette Ehlers (Denmark)
- Rosalba Icaza (Mexico/ Institute of Social Studies, The Hague)
- Patricia Kaersenhout (The Netherlands/Suriname)
- Alanna Lockward (Dominican Republic/ Germany; Art Labour Archives)
- Ovidiu Tichindeleanu (Rumania; IDEA Magazine)
- Gloria Wekker (The Netherlands/Suriname)
- Catherine Walsh

Target Audience:
Designed for graduate students (Ph.D. and M.A.) from all disciplinary
backgrounds, we will encourage participants interested in creating
“working groups” that will continue decolonial research agendas after
the end of the seminar. The working groups would develop “reports”
and “activities” that may take the form of traditional paper,
video-documentary, web-page, artistic creation, museum exhibitions,
community work or other initiatives connected to the participant’s
interests. The course is also open to interested advanced
undegraduate students. (Students from University College Roosevelt
can obtain full credits with the writing of a final research paper).

Course Aim:
The course will make the students acquainted with the most current
debates around decolonial critical thought, in particular in relation
to the construction of alternative futures. It also aims at
articulating research groups and networks that would complete the
summer course with concrete agendas for producing original and
collaborative projects aimed at enriching and furthering the scope of
the decolonial debate.

Study Load:
Two hours of class in the morning and two hours of class in the
afternoon. Reading preparation for the course will also be required.

Fee:
Course + course materials € 1260.00
Housing € 500.00, through University College Roosevelt

Registration:
Application deadline: 22 May 2018
Apply online: https://www.utrechtsummerschool.nl/students/apply/S21

Contact: