Location: Tokyo (Japan)
Date: 21.–23.3.2019
Deadline: 8.1.2019

The conference theme, Value and Values, refers to two of the
fundamental questions of human enquiry – why and how we do what we
do. Focussing on them takes us back to the basics of academic
enquiry. The focus on the Value of our area of study invokes
questions of why our field is important for us, for society, for
humanity; asking us to consider why we research, teach, and engage
with other research and researchers in our area; and what the benefit
of our work might be, to ourselves, to society, to the world.

Focusing on values, on the other hand, addresses our deeply held
beliefs and integrity, and suggests our intentions, how we approach
our work, and demands that the process of our enquiry be as important
as the product. Our core values may be universal, but are coloured by
our social, cultural, religious, political and personal contexts.

How can the study of psychology and the behavioral sciences, as well
as those of ethics, religion and philosophy, inform each other,
inform other fields, and inform our lives, from the way we lead our
individual lives, to the ways in which governments engage with their
citizens, and with those from other countries and regions?

In a world which is seeing a rise in authoritarianism, nationalism,
and populism, this conference asks us to consider “value and values”,
inviting scholars from around the world to come together and engage
in challenging, rigorous debate across the lines and borders of
religion, creed and nation, and we warmly encourage you to come to
Tokyo in 2019!

Key Information

Location: Toshi Center, Tokyo, Japan
Dates: Thursday, March 21, 2019 ​to Saturday, March 23, 2019
Conference Theme: “Value & Values”
Early Bird Abstract Submission Deadline: November 07, 2018*
Final Abstract Submission Deadline: January 08, 2019
Registration Deadline for Presenters: February 07, 2019

*Submit early to take advantage of the discounted registration rates.

Organising Committee

Dr George D. Chryssides, The University of Birmingham, UK
Dr Joseph Haldane, The International Academic Forum (IAFOR), Japan
Prof Frank S. Ravitch, Michigan State University College of Law, USA
Dr Monty P. Satiadarma, Tarumanagara University, Indonesia
Prof Dexter Da Silva, Keisen University, Japan
Dr Brian Victoria, Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies, UK

About IAFOR

The International Academic Forum (IAFOR) is a research organisation,
conference organiser and publisher dedicated to encouraging
interdisciplinary discussion, facilitating intercultural awareness
and promoting international exchange, principally through educational
exchange and academic research.

Conference website:
https://acerp.iafor.org