http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/explosion-at-turkish-syrian-border-gate-kills-13.aspx?pageID=238&nID=40874&NewsCatID=341


Explosion at Turkish-Syrian border gate kills 13 
ISTANBUL, Monday,February 11 2013, 

 
AA Photo 


At least 13 civilians were killed and 28 others were wounded Feb. 11 in a blast 
at the Cilvegözü border gate on the Turkish-Syrian border, in the southern 
province of Hatay's Reyhanlı district.

"This incident shows the accuracy of our approach and our commitment to both 
the issue of terrorism and the situation in Syria,” Prime Minister Recep Tayyip 
Erdoğan said. “I want to make it clear that we will not make the slightest 
compromise in our determination in both cases.”

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said three of the 13 people killed in the 
blast were Turks. The explosion occurred in a car that came from Syria, and had 
not yet entered Turkey, in the buffer zone where humanitarian aid for Syrians 
is processed. 

Twenty-eight people were wounded in the blast, Arınç said, adding that 13 of 
them were in critical condition. 

Turkey's Interior Minister Sadullah Ergin, Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin and 
Minister of Customs and Trade Hayati Yazıcı went to Hatay late on Feb. 11. The 
three ministers were briefed on the incident and then went to the hospital were 
the injured people were being treated. 


Reyhanlı Mayor Hüseyin Şanverdi told the CNNTürk news channel that the blast 
occured in a car with a Syrian license plate. 


Adnan Korkmaz, the regional customs manager in charge of the Cilvegözü border 
gate, told CNNTürk that the explosion occured in the buffer zone where 
humanitarian aid for Syrians is processed.

He said the car that exploded did not leave or enter Turkey, but rather had not 
yet entered the customs zone on the Syrian side of the frontier.

Noting that the car was not moving when the explosion occurred, Korkmaz said he 
could not confirm how long the car had been parked at the location.


The situation looks like an attack, according to Numan Kurtulmuş, deputy leader 
of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP). 

“This is not an internal problem of Syria,” Kurtulmuş told private channel NTV 
on the ongoing crisis in Syria.

“We have stood by the people since the beginning but did not receive enough 
support from the West. Turkey is ready to continue humanitarian aid, but the 
crisis is getting deeper. We hope that a democratic regime wanted by the Syrian 
people will be established soon,” Kurtulmuş added.

Yusuf Yalçınkaya, who was slightly injured in the blast, said the explosion 
occurred while he was at the border gate bidding farewell to his relatives.

“The explosion occurred in a car with a horrible sound,” he told Anatolia news 
agency, adding that he saw many bodies on the ground following the blast.

Just before the explosion, Agence France-Presse reported that tensions rose 
between Syrian rebels and the fighters of the jihadist Al-Nusra Front. 

In a rebel rear base at Atme in northern Syria, a close border town of 
Reyhanlı, where the explosion took place, at least four fights have broken out 
in recent weeks between jihadists and mainstream rebels, witnesses and 
residents told AFP.

Nevzat Çiçek, a journalist who was at the Cilvegözü border gate at the time of 
the explosion, told the private Kanal 24 news channel that some wounded people 
were taken to the hospitals on the Syrian side and that the death toll could 
increase.

Nearly 15 vehicles, some of them carrying humanitarian aid to the Syrians 
affected by the ongoing civil war in the country, were also damaged. 

Republican People's Party (CHP) Hatay deputy Hasan Akgöl said the blast was an 
act of provocation. “This is an area where the rebel forces are strong and 
Syrian army members cannot get near,” he told NTV. “My personal view is that 
this is an attempt at provocation.”

Turkey and Syria share a 900-kilometer border that has been tense since the 
uprising in Syria started almost two years ago.


Turkey has been a strong supporter of efforts by rebels to topple Syria’s 
president, Bashar al-Assad. More than 170,000 refugees, including army 
defectors and members of the Free Syrian Army (FSA), have taken shelter in 
camps in Turkey.

Two Turkish pilots, Cpt. Gökhan Ertan and Lt. Hasan Hüseyin Aksoy, were killed 
when their plane was shot down by Syrians on June 22, 2012. A report by a 
military prosecutor said last September that the Turkish F-4 Phantom warplane 
was shot down by a Syrian air defense missile even though the missile did not 
directly hit the plane


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke