http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/afp/meteor-strike-in-russia-hurts-almost-1000/572048

Meteor strike in Russia hurts almost 1,000


by Stuart Williams | February 16, 2013

 The trail of a falling object is seen above a residential apartment block in 
Chelyabinsk, Russia, on February 15, 2013
A plunging meteor exploded with a blinding flash above central Russia on 
Friday, setting off a shockwave that shattered windows and hurt almost 1,000 
people in an event unprecedented in modern times.

Experts insisted the meteor's fiery entry into the atmosphere was not linked to 
the asteroid 2012 DA 14 which is expected to pass about 17,200 miles (27,700 
kilometres) above the Earth later Friday in an unusually close approach.

But the extraordinary event brought morning traffic to a sudden halt in the 
Urals city of Chelyabinsk as shocked drivers stopped to watch the falling 
meteor partially burning up in the lower atmosphere and light up the sky.

The fall of such a large meteor estimated as weighing dozens of tonnes was 
extremely rare, while the number of casualties as a consequence of its burning 
up around a heavily-inhabited area was unprecedented.

Chelyabinsk regional governor Mikhail Yurevich, quoted by the RIA Novosti news 
agency, said 950 people were injured, with two-thirds of the injuries light 
wounds from glass shards and other materials blown out by the shockwave.

Windows were blown out by the shockwave across the city's region with the 
ministry saying almost 300 buildings were damaged including schools, hospitals, 
a zinc factory and even an ice hockey stadium.

"At 9:20 am (0320 GMT) an object was observed above Chelyabinsk which flew by 
at great speed and left a trail behind. Within two minutes there were two 
bangs," regional emergencies official Yuri Burenko said in a statement.

The office of the local governor said that a meteorite had fallen into a lake 
outside the town of Chebarkul in the Chelyabinsk region and television images 
pointed to a six-metre (20-foot) hole in the frozen lake's ice.

However it has yet to be finally confirmed if meteorite fragments made contact 
with the Earth and there were no reports that any locals had been hurt directly 
by a falling piece of meteorite.

Schools were closed for the day and theatre shows cancelled across the region 
after the shock wave blew out windows amid temperatures as low as minus 18 
degrees Celsius (zero degrees Fahrenheit).

"Thank God that nothing fell onto inhabited areas," President Vladimir Putin 
said in a meeting with the Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov, ordering him 
to look into how to warn citizens about such events.

The Russian Academy of Sciences said in a statement that it estimated the body 
to be several metres long and weighing several dozen tonnes. "It burned up at a 
height of 30-50 kilometres... but pieces could have fallen to Earth as 
meteorites."

The meteor explosion appears to be one of the most stunning cosmic events above 
Russia since the 1908 Tunguska Event, when a massive blast most scientists 
blame on an asteroid or a comet impact ripped through Siberia.

"I am scratching my head to think of anything in recorded history when that 
number of people have been indirectly injured by an object like this... it's 
very, very rare to have human casualties," Robert Massey, deputy executive 
secretary of Britain's Royal Astronomical Society (RAS), told AFP.

But he stressed that he saw "absolutely no connection" between the Chelyabinsk 
event and asteroid 2012 DA 14, which was to skim the Earth later on Friday.

Christophe Bonnal, head of rocket launchers at France's National Centre for 
Space Studies (CNES), dismissed the idea out of hand: "Not on the same orbit, 
not on the same trajectory."

With the meteor already becoming a leading trend on Twitter, locals posted 
amateur footage on YouTube showing men swearing in surprise and fright, and 
others grinding their cars to a halt.

"First I thought it was a plane falling, but there was no sound from the 
engine... after a moment a powerful explosion went off," witness Denis Laskov 
told state television.

Footage is viewable on: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_nOaRpF0DJk.

The Chelyabinsk region is Russia's industrial heartland, filled with 
smoke-chugging factories and other huge facilities that include a nuclear power 
plant and the massive Mayak atomic waste storage and treatment centre.

A spokesman for Rosatom, the Russian nuclear energy state corporation, said 
that its operations remained unaffected.

The emergencies ministry said radiation levels in the region also did not 
change and that 20,000 rescue workers had been dispatched to help the injured 
and locate those requiring help.

AFP

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke