http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/update-islamic-religious-groups-demonstrate-against-catholic-church/571886

Update: Islamic Religious Groups Demonstrate Against Catholic Church
Lenny Tristia Tambun & Camelia Pasandaran | February 15, 2013

 A religious forum will protest against a Catholic church in Tambora, West 
Jakarta, that holds services in the social facilities of the Damai school 
complex. (JG Photo/Lenny Tristia Tambun) 

A protest by members of a religious forum that has called on the government to 
shut down a Catholic church in Tambora, West Jakarta, was staged peacefully on 
Friday afternoon.

Hundreds of members of the Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) and the Duri Selatan 
Mosque Forum rallied against the Bunda Hati Kudus Foundation’s plan to convert 
the social facilities of the Damai school complex into a place of worship.

The protesters came to the school on Friday afternoon and staged a peaceful 
protest and oration for 30 minutes before continuing their journey to City Hall.

Nandar, the protest coordinator for the Duri Selatan Mosque Forum, urged the 
leaders of the church to stop the establishment of any church within the school 
complex, and spoke out against the use of any building within the complex for 
any church-related activities.

“They should have followed the rules, they can’t provoke the local residents by 
giving away free stuff every month just to get approval to build a church. The 
construction of this church must be stopped,” he said.

Some representatives from FPI and the Duri Selatan Mosque Forum were allowed to 
enter the school complex on Friday to hold a dialogue with the church’s leader, 
Pastor Matheus Widyolestari. Police officers were in attendance for the 
discussion.

One of the protesters handed out a stack of copies of ID cards, claiming they 
were from people who rejected the church’s construction.

The local government has been trying to mediate the conflict involving 
religious figures from both sides since November 2007. But so far, they have 
failed to reach an agreement.

Pastor Antonius Benny Susetyo, executive secretary of the Commission of the 
Indonesian Bishops Conference, told the Jakarta Globe that the protesters 
misunderstood the problem.

He said that the protesters thought the church used the social facilities of 
the Damai school complex as a service venue.

“It is a church, in the same complex with the school,” Antonius explained. “It 
is not a hall as they thought.”

Antonius said that the church had no building permit, but when it was built in 
1968, there was no regulation on building permits.

“In 2006, the government issued a joint ministerial decree in which its 
transitional regulation stated that in the case of a house of worship that has 
been permanently used and or has historical value but has no building permit, a 
mayor or district chief should issue the permit,” Antonius said.

“At that time, it was not only churches that had no building permits, but also 
mosques,” Antonius said. “This is the obligation of the local government to 
issue decisions that the church is legal as it has existed for 40 years.”

Antonius said that as many as 6,000 congregation members joined Sunday services 
every week.

“There is no other Catholic church nearby,” he said, adding that the protesters 
were not residents of Tambora. “The church has good relations with the 
residents.”

[Updated at 5:27 p.m.]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke