http://www.antaranews.com/en/news/87464/indonesias-military-to-take-tactical-action-against-armed-groups-in-papua
Indonesia`s military to take tactical action against armed groups in Papua
Sat, February 23 2013 00:50 | 

 
  "The tactical action includes to chase, apprehend and destroy," the deputy 
minister said. 
Related News
  a.. Economic gap seen as cause of security problem in Papua 
  b.. President holds meeting to discuss situation in Papua 
  c.. Security disturbance may not be ignored: President 
  d.. Shooting in Papua must be investigated thoroughly: Lawmaker 
  e.. Economic gap seen as cause of security problem in Papua
Jakarta (ANTARA News) - Indonesia`s Deputy Minister of Defense Sjafrie 
Sjamsoeddin has said the Indonesian Defense Forces (TNI) will take a firm stand 
by conducting tactical action against armed groups that killed eight military 
officers and five civilians in Papua on Thursday (Feb 21).

"The tactical action includes to chase, apprehend and destroy," the deputy 
minister said here on Friday.

He said the latest shootings by the separatist rebels did not affect TNI`s 
strategic policies in Papua. TNI so far did not have a plan to send more troops 
to Papua, he added.

In the defense field, the government has been using a territorial strategy 
which among other things focuses on the improvement of the people`s welfare and 
on the promotion of diplomacy of dialog.

However, TNI will respond with tactical action against armed groups that have 
committed crimes for killing both civilians and soldiers, he stated.

On the occasion, Defense Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro expressed his condolences 
on the deaths of the eight military officers in Papua.

The minister also expressed his concern because a TNI`s Puma helicopter which 
was about to evacuate the soldiers` bodies were shot several times by 
separatists in the Indonesian eastern most province.

"The evacuation of the remains has been hampered by bad weather and security 
disturbance," Yugsiantoro stated.

Rear Admiral Iskandar Sitompul, a TNI spokesman, said the bodies of the 
soldiers were still in Sinak, Puncak District, Papua Province, because the 
helicopter which would evacuate them, was shot by armed group members on Friday 
morning.

The helicopter`s pilot and co-pilot were uninjured in the shootings but a crew 
member, who is also a military officer, was wounded.

On Thursday (Feb 21), shooting incidents occurred in two different locations in 
Papua, killing eight military officers.

The first shooting incident by armed separatists happened in a TNI security 
post in Tingginambut, Puncak Jaya District, on Thursday at 9.30 am local time. 
One military officer, Private Wahyu Bowo, was shot dead in the attack.

The second shooting incident occurred in Tanggulinik, Sinak, Puncak District, 
at 10.30 am local time. Ten military officers of Sinak military unit were shot 
and seven of them were killed in the attack, while the three others survive.

The fallen soldiers are First Sergeant M Udin, First Sergeant Frans, First 
Sergeant Edi, Chief Private Jojon, Chief Private Wemprik and Private 
Mustofa.(*) 
Editor: Heru

COPYRIGHT © 2013


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke