http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0225/breaking46.html

Last Updated: Monday, February 25, 2013, 20:13 
Syria 'ready for talks with rebels'
A man sits among rubble as he sells diesel in Aleppo today. Photograph: Hamid 
Khatib/Reuters

Syria is ready for talks with its armed opponents, foreign minister Walid 
al-Moualem said today, in the clearest offer yet of negotiations with rebels 
fighting to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

But Mr Moualem said at the same time Syria would pursue its fight "against 
terrorism", alluding to the conflict with rebels in which the United Nations 
says 70,000 people have been killed.

His offer of talks drew a dismissive response from US secretary of state John 
Kerry, who was starting a nine-nation tour of European and Arab capitals in 
London.

"It seems to me that it's pretty hard to understand how, when you see the Scuds 
falling on the innocent people of Aleppo, it is possible to take their notion 
that they are ready to have a dialogue very seriously," Mr Kerry said.

He said US president Barack Obama was evaluating more steps to "fulfil our 
obligation to innocent people", without giving details or saying whether 
Washington was reconsidering whether to arm the rebels, an option it has 
previously rejected.

"We are determined that the Syrian opposition is not going to be dangling in 
the wind," Mr Kerry said.

Mr Obama has carefully avoided deeper US involvement in Syria, at the heart of 
a volatile Middle East, as he has withdrawn troops from Iraq and extracts them 
from Afghanistan.

Dr Assad and his foes are locked in a bloody stalemate after nearly two years 
of combat, destruction and civilian suffering that threatens to destabilise 
neighbouring countries.

Mr Moualem said in Moscow that Damascus was ready for dialogue with everyone 
who wants it, even with those who have weapons in their hands "because we 
believe that reforms will not come through bloodshed but only through dialogue".

Russia's Itar-Tass, which reported his remarks, did not say if Mr Moualem had 
attached any conditions for the dialogue.

"What's happening in Syria is a war against terrorism," the agency quoted him 
as saying. "We will strongly adhere to a peaceful course and continue to fight 
against terrorism."

Moaz Alkhatib, head of the opposition Syrian National Coalition, told reporters 
in Cairo he had not been in touch with Damascus following Mr Moualem's offer. 
"We have not been in contact yet, and we are waiting for communication with 
them," he said.

Syria's government and the political opposition have both suggested in recent 
weeks they are prepared for some contacts - softening their previous outright 
rejection of talks to resolve a conflict which has driven nearly a million 
Syrians out of the country and left millions more homeless and hungry.

The opposition says any solution must involve the removal of Dr Assad, whose 
family has ruled Syria since 1970. Disparate rebel fighters, who do not answer 
to Alkhatib or other politicians in exile, insist that Dr Assad must go before 
any talks start.

Brigadier Selim Idris, a rebel military commander, told Al Arabiya television 
that a ceasefire, Dr Assad's exit, and the trial of his security and military 
chiefs must precede any talks.

Damascus has rejected any preconditions and the two sides lso differ on the 
location for any talks, with the opposition saying they should be abroad or in 
rebel-held parts of Syria, while the government says they must be in territory 
it controls.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke