http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/News/1847/17/Coptic-death-demos.aspx

  

13-03-2013 01:11PM ET

Coptic death demos

The death of a Coptic Egyptian detained in Libya has angered the Christian 
community in Egypt, reports Doaa El-Bey


Egyptians protest against the death of Attallah
  a.. 
Ezzat Atallah, a 45-year-old Egyptian Coptic-Christian who was detained in 
Libya last month with four other Copts on charges of missionary activities, 
died on Sunday. The death of Atallah caused widespread anger among Egyptian 
Copts and cast doubt over the true reasons behind his death. Both Egyptian and 
Libyan officials claim that he died of natural causes; he suffered from 
diabetes and heart problems. However, various videos and pictures released 
earlier this month on the Internet showed that the detainees were subject to 
torture.
Atallah’s family and his lawyer met Egyptian Ambassador to Libya Hisham 
Abdel-Wahab on Monday. Atallah’s wife told Abdel-Wahab that she met with Libyan 
authorities, the forensic department and the detainees who were with Atallah 
when he died. According to the wife, they all said that Atallah died of natural 
causes.
The embassy took the necessary measures to transfer the body to Egypt on 
Tuesday.
Meanwhile, dozens of Egyptian Coptic protesters demonstrated on Monday outside 
the Libyan embassy in Cairo. Angry over Atallah’s death from alleged torture in 
Libya, the protesters burnt the Libyan flag and clashed with Libyan nationals.
The protests came in response to a call for a sit-in in front of the Libyan 
embassy by Egypt’s Coptic Youth Front and the Maspero Youth Union.
Protesters carried banners calling for compensation for Atallah’s family and 
the release of the other Copts arrested on the same charge.
The protesters decided to suspend their sit-in until today (Thursday) after an 
official from the Libyan embassy promised to consider their demands regarding 
the release of the rest of the detained Copts. However, they told Libyan 
officials that if their demands were not met by today, they will stage an open 
sit-in.
Atallah, who had been accused of practising missionary activities in Libya, was 
arrested last month together with four Evangelical Christian Egyptians, who all 
worked as traders in a local market.
Atallah’s brother told the media on Sunday after receiving the news of his 
brother’s death that his brother had been tortured after being moved from a 
Benghazi prison prior to the investigations.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry did not comment on the death or issue a statement.
It was another sign of the failure of the Foreign Ministry to act quickly to 
help its citizens abroad, said a diplomat who spoke on condition of anonymity. 
“Even if Atallah died of natural causes, there was enough evidence since he and 
others were arrested earlier that they were tortured,” he added.
Last week, the Coptic Youth Front and the Maspero Youth Union called on the 
foreign minister to secure the release of the prisoners.
In a statement issued on Monday, the two movements renewed their call for the 
president and the Foreign Ministry to intervene.
The statement also asked for taking all the necessary legal measures against 
the Libyan authorities “for committing crimes against humanity”.
The Foreign Ministry managed to secure the release of 20 Copts out of 48 others 
detained earlier in March who were also accused of proselytising.
They were said to be in possession of copies of the Bible and texts bearing 
images of Christ and the late Coptic Pope Shenouda. They were also charged with 
urging Libyan Muslims to convert to Christianity.
Atallah had been moved from Benghazi to Tripoli by the security apparatus to be 
questioned by the public prosecutor in Tripoli.
His wife who was able to visit him during his detention found his body full of 
bruises. He told her he was being subjected to brutal treatment, torture and 
humiliation in order to extract from him incriminating confessions. He was 
moved to hospital last Wednesday for treatment but was later returned to 
detention.
More than 100 Copts were detained by the Libyan authorities in Benghazi last 
month on charges of preaching Christianity. The exact number of the detainees 
is not known, especially since some of them were released and deported to Egypt 
while others have yet to be caught. Those returning to Egypt claim that the 
number stands at more than 200.
The arrests are the latest in a series of incidents in Libya targeting 
Christians. In December, two Egyptian Christians were killed and two others 
were injured when suspected Islamist extremists threw a homemade bomb at a 
Coptic Orthodox church in western Libya.
Four missionaries from Egypt, South Africa, South Korea and Sweden were also 
recently arrested in Benghazi on charges of printing and distributing material 
that promoted Christianity.
Other Christians in Benghazi have also been arrested, including several 
Egyptians and three non-Arab expatriates who were working as language teachers 
and businessmen. In a meeting at the Shura Council, Ali El-Esheiri, assistant 
foreign minister for expatriate affairs, declared that the 55 Egyptians 
detained in Libya were released; 35 had already returned to Egypt and the rest 
remained in Libya to resume their work. He ruled out any discriminatory 
treatment against Egyptian Copts. “The Italian church has also been attacked 
recently,” he added.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke