Ref: “Don’t kill me for your food, because I will kill you”, barangkali harus 
begitu semboyannya.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/health/tainted-turtle-meat-kills-at-least-three-kids-poisons-hundreds-in-west-sumatra/582276?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=jgnewsletter

Tainted Turtle Meat Kills at Least Three Kids, Poisons Hundreds in West Sumatra
Jakarta Globe | March 27, 2013

 Indonesian activists wear turtle costumes during a rally against illegal sea 
turtle trade at a main road in Denpasar, Bali, in this February 2012 file 
photo. (EPA Photo/Made Nagi) 
At least three people have died and hundreds more were sickened after consuming 
toxic turtle meat in Mentawai Island, West Sumatra, a local news portal 
reported on Wednesday.

Rijel Samaloisa, deputy mayor of Mentawai, told news portal Vivanews.com that 
three children — a 3-year-old, an 8-year-old and an 11-month-old – died after 
eating the tainted meat on Tuesday night. 

“The first victim died this morning [Tuesday] and the other two passed away in 
the afternoon. The latest information, a child aged 7 years old, is in critical 
condition at the Tuapejat Regional Hospital,” Rijel said.

He said residents of a fisherman’s community in the Sao hamlet of Bosua 
village, South Sipora, ate turtle that had been caught on Sunday. The deputy 
mayor added that some victims died because their families could not seek 
treatment in time. 

“People were [sick] on Sunday but they were not directly taken to get 
medication,” he said.

All of the poisoned survivors have since received medical treatment, Rijel 
said, adding that they were admitted to Tuapeijat Hospital and Sioban community 
health center.

Sindonews.com reported that limited access to the village hindered the ability 
to seek treatment for the sickened villagers, as the only means of 
transportation which can accommodate many people at once is a boat with an 
outboard engine. Soa hamlet is located at the southern part of Sipora island 
and it can take up to two hours in good weather to reach the district health 
facilities. The regional hospital could take up to four hours to reach from the 
village, which has no mobile phone coverage, according to the portal. 

Rijel said this was not the first time Mentawai people were sickened after 
consuming turtle meat.

“People have never learned, there were similar cases like this in the past,” he 
said.

Vivanews.com reported that 36 people on the island were poisoned from turtle 
meat on March 16. 

Mentawai Island Health Office head Warta Siritoitet said there were four cases 
of poisoning from turtle meat in the past year in Mentawai. 

Rijel said that the Mentawai administration would issue a mandate to prohibit 
the consumption of turtle.

“People will be prohibited to eat any kinds of turtle. We will distribute [a 
circular about the ban] in the mosques, churches, governments offices and other 
places,” he said.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke