http://arabnews.com/news/447431

Libya PM says abducted aide’s whereabouts unknown
Reuters

Monday 8 April 2013

TRIPOLI, April 8 : Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said the whereabouts of his 
top aide were still unknown more than a week after he was grabbed from his car 
on the outskirts of Tripoli by unknown assailants.


Mohammed Al-Ghatous, in his 50s, was seized after passing a checkpoint into the 
eastern Tripoli suburb of Tajoura, while returning from the coastal city of 
Misrata on the evening of Sunday, March 31.
Ghatous, one of Zeidan’s top aides, had last spoken to his family by mobile 
phone from his car before he was taken.“His whereabouts are still unknown,” 
Zeidan told a news conference on Monday. “His family are worried about him and 
we hope he will be released safe and sound soon.”


Since the end of the 2011 uprising that toppled Muammar Qaddafi, Libya’s new 
rulers have struggled to control a myriad of armed groups who refuse to lay 
down their weapons and often take the law into their own hands.


Tensions have been rising between the government and militias in the last few 
weeks, after the launch of a campaign aimed at dislodging armed groups from 
public buildings they occupy in Tripoli.
“We believe this comes after the government announced plans of the crackdown,” 
Zeidan said. On the same day that Ghatous was seized, an armed group 
controlling a Tripoli prison stormed the justice ministry, an attack the 
justice minister said took place after the government ordered the group to hand 
over the jail to the authorities.


Last month, five British nationals who were part of an aid convoy passing 
through Libya on the way to Gaza were briefly kidnapped by an armed group, and 
one was sexually assaulted in the eastern city of Benghazi, security officials 
said.
(Reporting by Ali Shuaib; Writing by Marie-Louise Gumuchian; Editing by Jon 
Hemming)


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke