http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-boston-fbi-bomber-20130425,0,6531764.story

Boston bombs showed some expertise
Investigators say the triggering devices used suggest the older brother 
received guidance on his recent trip to Russia.
  a..  
  b.. Comments 
  25
  a.. 
Sources say evidence now suggests the twin Boston Marathon explosions were 
triggered by remote control, giving the suspects time to safely walk away. Bob 
Orr reports on the latest breaks in the investigation.

By Brian Bennett, Richard A. Serrano and Ken Dilanian, Los Angeles Times 
April 24, 2013, 7:10 p.m.
WASHINGTON — Investigators said the two Boston Marathon bombs were triggered by 
long-range remote controls for toy cars — a more sophisticated design than 
originally believed — bolstering a theory that the older suspect received 
bomb-making guidance on his six-month trip to Russia last year.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, who died in a shootout with police last week, "more than 
likely got some instruction in Dagestan," a federal law enforcement official 
said Wednesday.

The official said investigators continued to believe that Tsarnaev, 26, and his 
brother, Dzhokhar, 19, were radicalized in the U.S., and that no foreign 
terrorist group orchestrated the plot.

  a..  Photos: Boston Marathon bombings and the aftermath 
  b..  Document: Dzhokar Tsarnaev charged 
  c..  Timeline and map: Searching for the suspects 
  d..  Full coverage: Explosions at Boston Marathon 


PHOTOS: Boston Marathon bombings

Nevertheless, the CIA revealed Wednesday that it had asked the FBI and other 
federal agencies to put Tamerlan Tsarnaev on the terrorism watch list in 
October 2011 after receiving information from Russia. His name was not placed 
on a no-fly list, but it was circulated to various intelligence and domestic 
security agencies.

The information the CIA received "was nearly identical to the information the 
FBI received in March 2011" from Russia, one official said — unspecific 
allegations that he had become an Islamic extremist.

The CIA shared all the information provided by the foreign government including 
two possible dates of birth, his name and a possible name variant as well, an 
official said.

FBI and Russian security services have been conducting interviews separately in 
the Dagestan area since the Tsarnaev brothers became suspects in the bombings 
last week, according to a federal law enforcement official. The agencies are 
talking to Tsarnaev family members, including the father of the brothers.

The officials asked not to be identified because they were not authorized to 
discuss the investigation.

Further suggesting that Tamerlan Tsarnaev's Russia trip played a role, 
Secretary of State John F. Kerry told reporters Wednesday in Brussels that the 
elder suspect "learned something where he went, and he came back with a 
willingness to kill people."

A joint FBI and Department of Homeland Security intelligence bulletin sent to 
state and local law enforcement Tuesday night suggested that the bombs' 
triggering mechanism was more sophisticated than previously thought.

"The sophistication of the explosive devices is similar to what you might find 
on a battlefield, and I am concerned there is a person out there, either in the 
Chechen region or in the United States, who trained him," Rep. Michael McCaul 
(R-Texas), chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said in a 
statement.

"For anyone to rule out a foreign connection at this time, I think is highly 
premature," he said.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was captured Friday and is still being treated for 
gunshot wounds, has told investigators that he and his older brother were 
operating alone, and that they had received no training or support from outside 
terrorist groups.

The renewed focus by investigators on the Russia trip has members of Congress 
asking why U.S. authorities didn't further scrutinize Tamerlan Tsarnaev after 
he returned last year. Officials shed light on that chain of events Wednesday.

When Tamerlan Tsarnaev flew into New York's John F. Kennedy International 
Airport after his Russia trip, his name was flagged in a database that matches 
names on passenger manifests with lists of suspected extremists and others who 
may merit law enforcement attention.

But he was not pulled aside by U.S. Customs agents because "he wasn't high on 
the priority list," a senior U.S. counter-terrorism official said. The FBI had 
cleared the case more than a year before.

In 2011, the FBI investigated Tsarnaev after the Russian government said he had 
become an Islamic radical. The FBI said it found no evidence to support that 
warning.

The FBI "checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for 
such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online 
sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with 
other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history," 
the bureau said in a statement.

It was unclear Wednesday whether Customs officials alerted the FBI when 
Tsarnaev left the U.S., or when he returned.

Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke