From: ETAN 
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:53 PM
To: [email protected] 
Subject: [indonesia-act] Minority Groups Ask Yudhoyono to Turn Down Religious 
Freedom Award

SBY is no statesman! Sign petition today: http://s.shr.lc/19349F6

via Joyo News

Minority Groups Ask Yudhoyono to Turn Down Religious Freedom Award

May 11, 2013
The Jakarta Post

Ina Parlina

Jakarta -- A coalition of minority groups, who have long suffered persecution, 
are calling on President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to end their plight before 
accepting an award from a US-based group for upholding religious freedom.

A New York-based interfaith organization, Appeal of Conscience Foundation 
(ACF), is planning to present Yudhoyono with the World Statesman Award on May 
30 in New York, when the President will be on a working visit, in recognition 
of his work in supporting human rights and religious freedom.

The coalition, which includes followers of the Shia and Ahmadiyah minority 
sects, members of indigenous faith Sunda Wiwitan, as well as congregations from 
the Yasmin Indonesian Christian Church (GKI) and the Filadelfia Batak Christian 
Protestant Church, met with Albert Hasibuan, the presidential advisor on human 
rights, on Friday to convey their message to the President.

The coalition also staged a rally in front of the United States Embassy in 
Jakarta on Monday to protest the ACF’s choice of Yudhoyono for the 2013 award. 
The coalition requested that the US Embassy relay their message to President 
Barack Obama and the ACF.

“Before you are given the award, you should be able to act decisively to uphold 
religious freedom in Indonesia as stipulated in the 1945 Constitution,” Bona 
Sigalingging of GKI Yasmin said as he read a statement to Albert in front of 
his office on Friday.

Local rights groups, including the National Alliance of Unity in Diversity 
(ANBTI), the Setara Institute and the Wahid Institute, also joined the move, 
saying the award was an insult to victims of religious persecution.

ANBTI coordinator Nia Sjarifudin called on Yudhoyono to be honest on the 
international stage. “We would appreciate it if the President no longer turned 
a blind eye to our plight. The world has acknowledged the religious persecution 
in Indonesia. Settle the matter with dignity, not by accepting some 
international award,” she said.

The President, critics have said, has yet to be effective in addressing the 
growing intolerance in the country.

In his closing speech during a Cabinet meeting at the Presidential Office on 
Wednesday, Yudhoyono repeated his statement that the government wanted to 
intensify measures to handle such conflicts and he admitted that “there are 
still social conflicts [in the country]”. However, he also said he wanted 
regional administrations “to be at the forefront in handling such issues” and 
“not to deny such responsibility”.

On Tuesday, Yudhoyono said he had instructed administrations to settle such 
incidents swiftly. “Don’t create an impression of omission; everyone must be 
responsible and take action until the problems are solved.”

The Wahid Institute, which promotes pluralism and peaceful Islam, revealed that 
religious intolerance in the country had grown steadily in the last four years. 
Its report shows that religious intolerance cases in 2012 stood at 274, up from 
267 in 2011. In 2010, the institute recorded 184 cases and 121 cases in 2009.

In a separate report released in late February, New York-based Human Rights 
Watch (HRW) said Yudhoyono had been inconsistent in defending religious 
freedom, and that the government had been complicit in the persecution of 
religious minorities by failing to enforce laws and issuing regulations that 
breached minority rights.

Building permit issues have been the most cited reasons to justify 
discrimination against religious minorities, while blasphemy has often been 
used against Islamic minorities, such as Shiites and the Ahmadis.

The Bogor administration ignored a Supreme Court ruling that stipulated that 
the building permit for GKI Yasmin’s church was legal and ordered the Bogor 
administration to reopen the building.

Followers of nondenominational faiths have also said they could not obtain 
identity cards due to their faith and, therefore, could not apply for work.

“I will convey the message to the President soon,” Albert said.


etanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetan

SBY is no statesman! Sign petition today: http://s.shr.lc/19349F6

Donate today. Read ETAN's fund appeal: http://etan.org/etan/2013appeal.htm

2012 Recipient of the Order of Timor (Ordem Timor)

John M. Miller, National Coordinator
East Timor & Indonesia Action Network (ETAN)
Phone: +1-718-596-7668   Mobile phone: +1-917-690-4391  
Email: [email protected] Skype: john.m.miller Twitter: @etan009
www.etan.org

Send a blank e-mail message to [email protected] to for information on other ETAN 
electronic resources on East Timor and Indonesia 

etanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetanetan 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


[This message was distributed via the indonesia-act list. For info on how to 
subscribe to this and other ETAN/Tapol e-mail lists, send a blank e-mail to 
[email protected]. To support ETAN see http://etan.org/etan/donate.htm ]


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke