R a l a t

http://www.theborneopost.com/2013/05/19/argentina-dirty-war-dictator-videla-dies/


Argentina ‘Dirty War’ dictator Videla dies
Posted on May 19, 2013, Sunday


BUENOS AIRES: General Jorge Videla, Argentina’s dictator at the height of its 
‘Dirty War’ against leftist activists, died Friday in prison while serving time 
for crimes against humanity. He was 87.

Videla launched a ferocious crackdown on leftists and suspected supporters when 
he took power in 1976. As many as 30,000 people were kidnapped and 
‘disappeared’ by the military, and suspected regime opponents were swept into 
secret prisons, tortured and murdered.

In his last public appearance Tuesday, an unrepentant Videla, who left office 
in 1981, told a court that his subordinates acted under his orders and assumed 
“full military responsibility for the actions of the army in the war against 
terrorism.”

The prison doctor on duty found Videla in the morning “sitting on the toilet in 
his cell,” according to the official prison report. He had no vital signs.

“It is important that he died of natural causes in a regular prison,” said 
Human Rights Secretary Martin Fresneda.

“There was justice, not revenge, and he leaves as the person that was 
responsible for the main horrors that the Argentine people endured.”

The federal judge with jurisdiction over the prison ordered an autopsy to 
dispel any doubts that Videla might note have died of a natural cause.

In 2010, Videla was sentenced to life behind bars for the disappearance of 31 
prisoners, and to another 50 years’ jail in 2012 for the theft of children born 
to female prisoners.

Earlier, in 1985, he was convicted of abuses committed under his regime, but 
pardoned five years later by then president Carlos Menem. That pardon was 
declared unconstitutional in 2006 as Argentina reopened one of the darkest 
chapters in its history with trials of former military officials.

A wiry officer with a brush mustache, an intense gaze and a passionate hatred 
of communism, Videla showed little remorse for the systematic abuses.

“Let’s say there were seven thousand or eight thousand people who had to die to 
win the war against subversion,” Videla said recently in a prison interview, 
according to journalist Ceferino Reato.

“We couldn’t execute them by firing squad. Neither could we take them to 
court,” he was quoted as saying.

Military leaders agreed that secretly disposing of their prisoners “was a price 
to pay to win the war,” Videla said, according to Reato in his book “Final 
Disposition.”

“For that reason, so as not to provoke protests inside and outside the country, 
the decision was reached that these people should be disappeared.”

Videla later said he had been misquoted, but the journalist insists the general 
reviewed his handwritten notes and approved them before publication.

The former dictator died at 0825 (1125 GMT) in the Marcos Paz prison southwest 
of Buenos Aires, where he spent his final days in a spartan cell with a wooden 
cross on the wall.

Videla “dies condemned by justice and repudiated by society,” said Nora 
Cortinas, of the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo rights group.

Adolfo Perez Esquivel, the 1980 Nobel Peace Prize winner who drew international 
attention to the junta’s abuses, said Videla “never repented of the crimes and 
he is taking a lot of information with him.” — AFP

+++++

http://www.newsdaily.com/article/bd1a574622a85d277e6a7201305dc4cc/argentina-ex-dictator-takes-secrets-to-the-grave


Argentina ex-dictator takes secrets to the grave
Saturday May 18, 2013  |  Agence France Presse

 
The front pages of major newspapers in Argentina reflect the news of the death 
of Jorge Rafael Videla, May 18, 2013

Credit: Agence France Presse
Late Argentine dictator General Jorge Videla will be buried without revealing 
what happened to the tens of thousands who "disappeared" during his rule, 
rights groups said Saturday.

Videla, 87, died Friday of natural causes in Marcos Paz prison, where he was 
serving two consecutive life sentences plus 50 years for massive rights abuses, 
including stealing the babies of female prisoners.

His body is currently in the judicial morgue in Buenos Aires, awaiting autopsy. 
It is not clear when or where he will be buried.

The ex-dictator, who ruled at the height of the Latin American country's "Dirty 
War" against leftist activists, launched a ferocious crackdown when he took 
power in 1976. He left office in 1981.

As many as 30,000 people were kidnapped and "disappeared" by the military, and 
suspected regime opponents were swept into secret prisons, tortured and 
murdered.

In his last public appearance, just days before his death, the unrepentant 
Videla told a court that his subordinates acted under his orders and assumed 
"full military responsibility for the actions of the army in the war against 
terrorism."

Rights groups across Argentina's political spectrum have condemned the former 
dictator, lamenting that he died without revealing what he knew about the 
missing people and stolen children.

"Mothers have a right to recover the bodies of their children," said activist 
Paula Maroni, of the group CHILDREN of the Missing.

She said Videla's death should serve as a "call to break the pact of secrecy" 
and "tell the truth."

Nora Cortinas of the Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo said dictators like Videla 
"die and take with them the most important secrets in history."

But former judge Leon Arslanian, who was involved in Videla's prosecution in 
1985, said the information could still be out there.

"The armed forces, when they organized this, they did it in a very planned 
way," Arslanian told Radio Mitre.

"Every military action that was carried out... of course there were records."

However, none of the prosecuted ex-soldiers have yet revealed information about 
what happened to the missing -- including Videla, who showed little remorse for 
the systematic abuses.

The wiry officer with a brush mustache, an intense gaze and a passionate hatred 
of communism recently admitted in a prison interview with journalist Ceferino 
Reato that his regime had wiped out "7,000 or 8,000 people who had to die to 
win the war against subversion."

"So as not to provoke protests inside and outside the country, the decision was 
reached that these people should be disappeared," Videla said, according to 
Reato in his book "Final Disposition."

Videla later said he had been misquoted, but the journalist insists the general 
reviewed his handwritten notes and approved them before publication.


 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke