Lihat juga : 
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2009/08/20098182124883946.html + 
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2012/05/201252012581955868.html



http://www.timesofisrael.com/palestinian-group-carried-out-lockerbie-bombing/

‘Palestinian group carried out Lockerbie bombing’
Gaddafi may have commissioned attack that killed 270 people 25 years ago, 
ex-Israeli security official tells Times of Israel, but Ahmed Jibril’s 
PFLP-GC carried it out
By David Horovitz December 19, 2013, 3:37 pm 7


Police and investigators look at what remains of the flight deck of Pan Am 
103 in a field in Lockerbie, Scotland, December 22, 1988. (photo credit: 
AP)
Writers

David Horovitz David Horovitz is the founding editor of The Times of 
Israel. He previously edited The Jerusalem Post (2004-2011) and The … 
[More]

Twenty-five years after Pan Am Flight 103 was blown up over Lockerbie, 
Scotland, with the loss of all 259 passengers and crew and 11 people on 
the ground, a former senior member of the Israeli security establishment 
said he was certain the bombing was carried out by Ahmed Jibril’s Popular 
Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command.

Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email
and never miss our top stories   Free Sign up!

The Israeli source, who spoke to The Times of Israel on condition of 
anonymity, said Israel was “listening” in during the months prior to the 
December 21, 1988 bombing on preparations for what “we thought was a plan 
to target an Israeli plane” and that it was “clear that Jibril prepared 
the operation.”

The comments came ahead of Saturday’s 25th anniversary of the worst 
terrorist attack ever carried out on British territory, and the worst 
terror attack on American civilians with the exception of 9/11. The 
anniversary is prompting another slew of conspiracy theories as to who was 
responsible.

Among the claims that have come to the fore in various newspaper reports, 
TV documentaries and new books in the last few days are allegations that 
the bomber was Palestinian terrorist Mohammed Abu Talb, who carried out a 
series of bombings in Copenhagen and Amsterdam in 1985; that the CIA 
subverted the investigation; and that a fair-minded examination of the 
evidence demonstrates that the bomb, rather than beginning its fateful 
journey in Malta, was smuggled onto Flight 103 via a baggage container at 
Heathrow Airport.

The Israeli source did not dispute that Col. Muammar Gaddafi’s Libya, 
which in 2003 accepted responsibility for the bombing and paid 
compensation to victims’ families, had commissioned the attack. And he 
said that while an Iranian role made sense, Israel had found no proof of 
Iranian involvement. (Iran, a prime orchestrator of international 
terrorism, had pledged to avenge the July 1988 accidental downing by the 
USS Vincennes of Iran Air Flight 655 in the Persian Gulf, with the loss of 
all 290 people on board.)

Several Israeli prime ministers and former heads of the Mossad 
intelligence service have told this reporter over the years that it is 
their belief that the Libyans instigated the bombing.


PFLP-GC chief Ahmed Jibril (right) pictured with Hezbollah leader Hassan 
Nasrallah in Beirut in May 2002. Jibril’s son, Jihad Jibril, was killed in 
a car bombing in Beirut that month. (photo credit: AP Photo/Bassem 
Tellawi)

The source, who was a senior figure in the Israeli military intelligence 
hierarchy at the time of the Lockerbie blast, said there was a “huge 
 alert” in the Israeli security establishment in the months before the 
bombing, because of indications that the PFLP-GC was about to strike. “We 
told the British and the Americans what we knew, which was that there was 
an intention to hit an Israeli plane,” he said. “We didn’t warn about a 
British or an American plane because we didn’t know that,” he said.

The only man ever convicted for the bombing was a Libyan intelligence 
officer, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, who was found to have placed a suitcase 
containing the bomb on a flight from Malta to Frankfurt, from where it was 
transferred to a flight to London’s Heathrow, before detonating on Flight 
103 a little more than half an hour after the Pan Am plane took off for 
New York. Megrahi, who was jailed in 2001 after a trial in which his 
fellow alleged Libyan conspirator, Lamin Fhima, was acquitted, went to his 
death in 2012 insisting on his innocence.


Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, who was found guilty of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing 
and sentenced to life imprisonment, is greeted by Libyan leader Muammar 
Gaddafi, in Tripoli, Libya on Friday, Aug. 21, 2009 following his release 
on compassionate grounds because he had terminal cancer. He died in May 
2012 (photo credit: AP Photo/Jamahiriya Broadcasting via APTN)

The former Israeli official said he was “not at all sure” that Megrahi had 
anything to do with bombing. “Megrahi was the man who was persuaded to say 
he did it, for the Libyan national interest. Beyond that, I can’t say.”

Initial UK-US investigations into the bombing indicated that
Jibril’s pro-Syrian PFLP-GC had carried it out. Jibril, who is today 
believed to be in Syria, was born south of Tel Aviv but his family settled 
in Syria after the establishment of Israel. Once a leading Syrian army 
bomb-maker, his PFLP-GC had a history of hijacking and blowing up 
airplanes, and he had publicly warned two years before the Lockerbie blast 
that “there will be no safety for any traveler on an Israeli or US 
airliner.”

As early as 1970, Jibril had smuggled barometric pressure devices onto 
airliners, claiming responsibility for blowing up a Swissair flight to Tel 
Aviv in this fashion in February, 1970, with the deaths of all 47 people 
on board.

Two months before the Lockerbie bombing, Jibril’s right-hand man Hafez 
Dalkamouni was arrested by German police along with other members of a 
PFLP-GC cell found to be in possession of several barometric pressure 
explosive devices, built into Toshiba radio-recorders, similar though not 
identical to the device that investigators subsequently established was 
used in the Lockerbie bombing.

Unexpectedly, however, the British-American investigation subsequently 
shifted focus to Libya, largely on the strength of a tiny fragment of a 
timing device ostensibly discovered among the bombing debris, a device 
which Megrahi’s trial was told had been incontrovertibly traced to Libya.

The allegation that this timing device was suspect, and that the 
investigation was skewed because of realpolitik considerations — such as a 
desire to avoid implicating Syria at a time when the US was building a 
coalition against Saddam Hussein, or to placate Iran and thus secure the 
release of Western hostages — is at the heart of many of the conspiracy 
theories surrounding the bombing.

Having reported on the Lockerbie bombing from the UK at the time, and seen 
material ostensibly linking the blast to the PFLP-GC, this reporter has 
frequently questioned high-placed Israeli politicians and members of the 
security establishment about the affair. Then trade minister Ariel Sharon 
declared three months after the blast that Israel — one of whose citizens, 
Daniel Browner, was killed in the bombing — believed Jibril to have 
carried out the attack.

The source who spoke to The Times of Israel asserted that the trial at 
which Megrahi was convicted, held at Camp Zeist in the Netherlands, “did 
not rule out” that Jibril organized the bombing on Gaddafi’s behalf.

Although other reports have suggested that both Jibril and Dalkamouni 
visited Tehran after the Iran Air plane was downed and ahead of the 
Lockerbie bombing to discuss carrying out the attack, and that Jibril was 
paid $11 million by Iran days after the bombing, the Israeli source said 
Israel had “no proof” of an Iranian role.

Jibril has always denied any part in the Lockerbie bombing. This week, 
too, a PFLP-GC spokesman reiterated the denial.

Libya’s Justice Minister Salah Margani said this week that his government 
would allow US and British investigators to question Abdullah al-Senoussi, 
Gaddafi’s intelligence chief — who is facing trial in Libya for crimes 
under the Gaddafi regime — over allegations of complicity in the Lockerbie 
bombing.

--
I am using the free version of SPAMfighter.
SPAMfighter has removed 1536 of my spam emails to date.
Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfighter.com/len

Do you have a slow PC? Try a Free scan 
http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen

Kirim email ke