http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/new-analysis-of-rocket-in-syria-chemical-attack-undercuts-us-claims-1.262321
New analysis of rocket in Syria chemical attack undercuts US claims
By Matthew Schofield 
      McClatchy Foreign Staff a..  
        b.. 
        c.. 
     

Published: January 15, 2014
Related
  a.. UN calculations of poison rockets' paths implicate Syrian guard unit 
  b.. UN: First chemicals have left Syrian port 
  c.. MV Cape Ray gears up to destroy Syria’s chemical weapons 
  d.. Cape Ray to set sail for chemical weapons disposal mission
 
In this Aug. 28, 2013, citizen journalism image provided by the United Media 
Office of Arbeen which has been authenticated based on its contents and other 
AP reporting, members of the UN investigation team take samples from sand near 
a part of a missile that is likely to be one of the chemical rockets according 
to activists, in the Damascus countryside of Ain Terma, Syria. The U.S. 
government insists it has the intelligence to prove a connection between the 
government of President Bashar Assad to the alleged chemical weapons attack 
last month that killed hundreds of people in Syria_but in the absence of such 
evidence, Damascus and its ally Russia have aggressively pushed another 
scenario: that rebels carried out the Aug. 21 chemical attack.
United Media Office of Arbeen
 
BERLIN — A series of revelations about the rocket thought to have delivered 
poison sarin gas to a Damascus suburb last summer are challenging American 
intelligence assumptions about that attack and suggest that the case U.S. 
officials initially made for retaliatory military action was flawed.

A team of security and arms experts, meeting this week in Washington to discuss 
the matter, has concluded that the range of the rocket that delivered sarin in 
the largest attack that night was too short for the device to have been fired 
from the Syrian government positions where the Obama administration insists 
they originated.

Separately, international weapons experts are puzzling over why the rocket in 
question — an improvised 330 mm to 350 mm rocket equipped with a large 
receptacle on its nose to hold chemicals — reportedly did not appear in the 
Syrian government’s declaration of its arsenal to the Organization for the 
Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and apparently was not uncovered by OPCW 
inspectors who believe they have destroyed Syria’s ability to deliver a 
chemical attack.

Neither development proves decisively that Syrian government forces did not 
fire the chemicals that killed hundreds of Syrians in the early morning hours 
of Aug. 21. U.S. officials continue to insist that the case for Syrian 
government responsibility for the attack in East Ghouta is stronger than any 
suggestion of rebel involvement, while experts say it is possible Syria left 
the rockets out of its chemical weapons declaration simply to make certain it 
could not be tied to the attack.

“That failure to declare can mean different things,” said Ralf Trapp, an 
original member of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons and 
a former secretary of the group’s scientific advisory board. “It can mean the 
Syrian government doesn’t have them, or that they are hiding them.”

In Washington, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence said its 
assertion of Syrian government responsibility remains unchanged.

“The body of information used to make the assessment regarding the August 21 
attack included intelligence pertaining to the regime’s preparations for this 
attack and its means of delivery, multiple streams of intelligence about the 
attack itself and its effect, our post-attack observations, and the differences 
between the capabilities of the regime and the opposition. That assessment made 
clear that the opposition had not used chemical weapons in Syria,” it said 
Wednesday in an email.

But the authors of a report released Wednesday said their study of the rocket’s 
design, its likely payload and its possible trajectories show that it would 
have been impossible for the rocket to have been fired from inside areas 
controlled by the government of Syrian President Bashar Assad.

In the report, titled “Possible Implications of Faulty U.S. Technical 
Intelligence,” Richard Lloyd, a former United Nations weapons inspector, and 
Theodore Postol, a professor of science, technology and national security 
policy at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, argue that the question 
about the rocket’s range indicates a major weakness in the case for military 
action initially pressed by Obama administration officials.

The administration eventually withdrew its request for congressional 
authorization for a military strike after Syria agreed to submit to the 
Chemical Weapons Convention, which bans the weapons. Polls showed overwhelming 
public opposition to a military strike, however, and it was doubtful Congress 
would have authorized an attack.

Lloyd and Postol’s report is the most recent installment in a months-long 
debate among rocket and weapons experts, much of it carried out in detailed 
papers posted on the Internet, about the nature of the munitions used in the 
Aug. 21 attack on rebel-controlled suburbs of Damascus.

The report’s authors admit that they deal only with one area of the attacks, 
the eastern suburb of Zamalka, where the largest quantity of sarin was released 
that night. They acknowledge that smaller rockets likely used in areas 
southwest of the capital could have come from government-controlled territory.

Relying on mathematical projections about the likely force of the rocket and 
noting that its design — some have described it as a trash can on a stick — 
would have made it awkward in flight, Lloyd and Postol conclude that the rocket 
likely had a maximum range of 2 kilometers, or just more than 1.2 miles. That 
range, the report explains in detail, means the rockets could not have come 
from land controlled by the Syrian government.

To emphasize their point, the authors used a map produced by the White House 
that showed which areas were under government and rebel control on Aug. 21 and 
where the chemical weapons attack occurred. Drawing circles around Zamalka to 
show the range from which the rocket could have come, the authors conclude that 
all of the likely launching points were in rebel-held areas or areas that were 
in dispute. The area securely in government hands was miles from the possible 
launch zones.

In an interview, Postol said that a basic analysis of the weapon — some also 
have described as a looking like a push pop, a fat cylinder filled with sarin 
atop a thin stick that holds the engine — would have shown that it wasn’t 
capable of flying the 6 miles from the center of the Syrian 
government-controlled part of Damascus to the point of impact in the suburbs, 
or even the 3.6 miles from the edges of government-controlled ground.

He questioned whether U.S. intelligence officials had actually analyzed the 
improbability of a rocket with such a non-aerodynamic design traveling so far 
before Secretary of State John Kerry declared on Sept. 3 that “we are certain 
that none of the opposition has the weapons or capacity to effect a strike of 
this scale — particularly from the heart of regime territory.”

“I honestly have no idea what happened,” Postol said. “My view when I started 
this process was that it couldn’t be anything but the Syrian government behind 
the attack. But now I’m not sure of anything. The administration narrative was 
not even close to reality. Our intelligence cannot possibly be correct.”

Lloyd, who has spent the past half-year studying the weapons and capabilities 
in the Syrian conflict, disputed the assumption that the rebels are less 
capable of making rockets than the Syrian military.

“The Syrian rebels most definitely have the ability to make these weapons,” he 
said. “I think they might have more ability than the Syrian government.”

Both said they were not making a case that the rebels were behind the attack, 
just that a case for military action was made without even a basic 
understanding of what might have happened.

For instance, they said that Kerry’s insistence that U.S. satellite images had 
shown the impact points of the chemical weapons was unlikely to be true. The 
charges that detonate chemical weapons are generally so small, they said, that 
their detonations would not be visible in a satellite image.

The report also raised whether the Obama administration misused intelligence 
information in a way similar to the administration of President George W. Bush 
in the run-up to the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Then, U.S. officials insisted that 
Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein had an active program to develop weapons of mass 
destruction. Subsequent inspections turned up no such program or weapons.

“What, exactly, are we spending all this money on intelligence for?” Postol 
asked.

As for the failure of the Syrians to list the rocket in its chemical weapons 
inventory, experts are undecided on what it means and leery about discussing it 
in public.

A spokeswoman for the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in 
Damascus declined to comment on what was listed in the declaration. It would 
violate the Chemical Weapons Convention for anyone who has read the declaration 
— it’s distributed to all nations that have joined the treaty — to reveal its 
contents.

But knowledgeable experts said they have been leery to discuss the apparent 
omission because they don’t want to say anything that would disrupt what 
appears to have been the successful dismantling of Syria’s chemical weapons 
program.

Some say they are worried that the failure to declare one delivery system may 
also mean that other items went undeclared.

“The most likely explanation for some of the delivery systems not showing up on 
the chemical declaration is that Assad doesn’t want to incriminate himself or 
his regime,” said Daryl Kimball, the executive director of the Arms Control 
Association.

Kirim email ke