Wendy Thanks for starting this off and to James for challenging us straight
off.

James I think 'change' needs an adjective, or it's too total a word to
apply in practice. Change can be fast or slow; incremental or total;
personal or organisational; transactional (internal to the system) or
transformational (changing the system).  Words are funny things.  The idea
of feasible change speaks oddly to me - feasible to whom and with respect
to what?    - unfeasible change would imply impossibililty of change, and I
can't think of anything that couldn't change under some
circumstances.   Even the sun mightn't rise if there was a galaxy disturbance?

But back to Wendy's question: I work with transformational social learning
and collective thinking, and happy to share any of that.

Wendy what insights have you found so far?
Valerie

>    1. Transformative change (Gregory, Wendy)
>    2. Re: Transformative change (James Baines)
>From: "Gregory, Wendy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <IntSci@learningforsustainability.net>
>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:59:11 +1200
>Subject: [IntSci] Transformative change
>Message: 1
>
>Hi all,
>
>I've been corresponding with Val Brown about an issue we have both been
>grappling with and we have a question (well, two really!) that we would
>like to ask of the IntSci group:
>
>Has anyone had success with ways to work within complex projects that
>can open up fixed positions and enable transformative change?   We would
>like to start a dialogue on ways and means to effect transformative
>change.
>
>We could start by agreeing that any effective intervention must be time
>and place based, with the process and actions being chosen by those
>involved and affected. What we are looking for is contributions to the
>set of processes already in use which are structured and disciplined -
>i.e., they have already been trialled in a number of contexts and been
>found to be useful in helping people explore the contexts and
>consequences of the situations they are trying to deal with.
>
>(And here's the second question ;-)):
>
>Would it be useful to others in the mailing list if we get to hear about
>some examples of how different people have used different processes for
>exploring and re-framing issues and going on achieve transformative
>action?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Wendy
>

>P Think before you print
>This e-mail transmission and any attachments that accompany it may contain
>information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from
>disclosure under applicable law and is intended solely for the use of the
>individual(s) to whom it was intended to be addressed.
>If you have received this e-mail by mistake, or you are not the intended
>recipient, any disclosure, dissemination, distribution, copying or other
>use or retention of this communication or its substance is prohibited. If
>you have received this communication in error, please immediately reply to
>the author via e-mail that you received this message by mistake and also
>permanently delete the original and all copies of this e-mail and any
>attachments from your computer. Thank you.
>
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>

>From: James Baines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "Gregory, Wendy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         <IntSci@learningforsustainability.net>
>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:17:25 +1200
>Subject: Re: [IntSci] Transformative change
>Message: 2
>
>I may be new to this - but one small point
>
>I would have thought that the qualifier "transformative" hardly adds
>anything to the concept of "change".
>Are you referring to a particular type of change when you use this
> [...]

Valerie A. Brown AO, BSc MEd PhD
Emeritus Professor, University of Western Sydney
Director, Local Sustainability Project,
Fenner School of Environment and Society
Australian National University, ACT 0200
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph/Fax 61 (0)2 62958650
http://www.sustainability.org.au