Anothe contribution from afar
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 23:28, Ueli Scheuermeier <<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: The demand that we should reconfigure our general attitude to achieve relationships that are more synergistic can in itself be condescending and patronizing.

This is tricky and weird, but it indeed is a very hidden and powerful form of what I call the "helper syndrome": I mean the "modern" attitude of wanting to enter into a synergistic relationship assumes that there isn't such a relationship and therefore the initiative for it must come from the north? That's just like assuming help must come from the north. So even this modern "leftist" notion can meet deep distrust, rightly so.

My breakthrough came when assuming we already ARE in a synergistic relationship, it's just that I've been blind all along. And sure enough....

Talking with villagers as a businessman out to make money with them makes a huge difference. It's kind of "I won't make any money unless you guys make money. So let's figure this out?". This makes me much more graspable, my intentions are VERY clear, no condescension, no patronizing, and it makes me trustworthy in their ideas: Wanting to make money is an acceptable motivation for interacting (oh yes, with all thar knowledge management that implies).

Now guess who has the most problems with me wanting to make money for myself together with poor African villagers..... ??
Ueli

Valerie A. Brown AO, BSc MEd PhD
Emeritus Professor, University of Western Sydney
Director, Local Sustainability Project,
Fenner School of Environment and Society
Australian National University, ACT 0200
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph/Fax 61 (0)2 62958650
http://www.sustainability.org.au