The firmware change would not to do a reset upon loss of connection.
I suspect this would be a major project. No debugging capabilities.
Get all the source code and learn it to see where the change needs to be.
I would also need to have my application do a reset upon start up, and hope
that doesn't break the connection.
In short, a major project.