On Thu, Oct 07, 2021 at 12:23:13PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 09:43:22AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > Hm, ok.  Could you point me at an example?
> >
> > For instance user_data vs fd in io_uring
>
> Ok, but one of those is an fd, which is an existing type of handle.
> Here we're introducing two different unique handles that aren't an
> existing kernel concept.

I'm not sure how that matters, the kernel has many handles - and we
get to make more of them.. Look at xarray/idr users in the kernel, many of
those are making userspace handles.

> That said... is there any strong reason why user_data needs to be
> unique?  I can imagine userspace applications where you don't care
> which device the notification is coming from - or at least don't care
> down to the same granularity that /dev/iommu is using.  In which case
> having the kernel provided unique handle and the
> not-necessarily-unique user_data would make perfect sense.

I don't think the user_data 64 bit value should be unique, it is just
transported from  user to kernal and back again. It is *not* a handle,
it is a cookie.

Handles for the kernel/user boundary should come from xarrays that
have nice lookup properties - not from user provided 64 bit values
that have to be stored in red black trees..

Jason