On Wed, Dec 8, 2021 at 1:19 PM Lorenzo Pieralisi
<lorenzo.pieral...@arm.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:00:24AM +0200, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM Robin Murphy <robin.mur...@arm.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On 2021-10-09 08:06, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Apologies if I'm being overly loose with terminology there - my point of
> > > reference for this hardware is documentation for the old LS2080A, where
> > > the "DPAA2 Reference Manual" gives a strong impression that the MC is a
> > > component belonging to the overall DPAA2 architecture. Either way it
> > > technically stands to reason that the other DPAA2 components would only
> > > be usable if the MC itself works (unless I've been holding a major
> > > misconception about that for years as well).
> > >
> > > In the context of this discussion, please consider any reference I may
> > > make to bits of NXP's hardware to be shorthand for "the thing for which
> > > NXP have a vested interest in IORT RMRs".
> >
> > Ultimately the spec doesn't mention what IOMMU properties the regions
> > should have.
>
> It will have to and that's what we are working on.

Where is this being worked on?  I see no open tickets for this.

> > Even marking them as IOMMU_READ/WRITE is as much of an assumption as
> > using IOMMU_MMIO or IOMMU_CACHE. It just seems IOMMU_MMIO is the most
> > popular since all the examples use it for MSI doorbells in the
> > documentation.
>
> We don't merge code based on assumptions that can easily break because
> the specifications don't contemplate the details that are required.
>
> > I am interested why this concern is only being brought up at this point
> > on a patchset that has been on the mailing list for 8+ months?
>
> See above. We don't merge code that we know can break and is based on
> assumptions, we need to update the IORT specifications to make them
> cover all the use cases - in a predictable way - and that's what we are
> working on.

This is not really an answer to the question.  The latest version of the
IORT RMR spec was published in Feb 2021. Why was this issue not
brought up with Rev 1 of this patchset? Instead you have wasted
10 months of developer and customer time. This could have easily been
turned into a code first spec change request, which is a valid option
for ACPI changes.

> > This is based on a spec that has existed from Arm since 2020 with the
> > most recent revisions published in Feb 2021.  The lack of RMR support
> > in the kernel is affecting real world products, and the ability for
> > SystemReady ES certified systems from just fully working with recent
> > distributions.
>
> I answered above - if you have any questions please ask them, here,
> as far as Linux code is concerned.
>
> I understand this is taking a long time, it is also helping us
> understand all the possible use cases and how to cover them in
> a way that is maintainable in the long run.

Every month that this patchset has sat being unattended by the
maintainers is another kernel dev cycle missed, it is another
another distribution release where users need to add hackish
kernel command-line options to disable security features that
were forced on by default. Not to mention Linux is just one
platform. What if other platforms have already adopted the
existing spec? These are Arm specs and Arm maintainers and
yet nobody seems to agree on anything and absolutely nothing
has been achieved except wasting the time of Shameer, myself,
our companies, and our customers.

-Jon