Hi,
  Upgraded my distribution to ubuntu 8.10 on my PC and laptop a few
  days back. Built and installed the latest version of ion. On doing
  so, i am not able to type in queries. This problem is notoriously
  similar to the one i faced a few months back on my laptop running
  8.04. But back then changing the locale to en_US.utf8 had got it
  working. This time around, i am not so lucky. The errors reported in
  .xsession-errors are a bit different now.

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_IN.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
ion3: No encoding given in LC_CTYPE.

  Not sure why is it complaining about the LC_CTYPE. Tried a multitude
  of places of exporting LC_CTYPE (.xsession, bashrc,
  /etc/environment), but the same error/message is reported. Could not
  find much relevant information on searching. Not sure where the
  problem is, although my doubt is that some configuration is done a
  bit differently in ubuntu intrepid. Could someone suggest a way for
  ion to read the LC_CTYPE variable. Typing in the command 'locale'
  gives out this

sugh...@hardy:~$ locale
LANG=en_IN
LC_CTYPE="en_IN"