On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Tom Payne wrote:

> Email address removal: I've listed only my email address because I'm the
> current maintainer of the software. I wanted people to respond with bug
> reports etc. to me, and not to bother you.

You have clearly stated that I'm the old maintainer, so I don't think they
will. Please add my email address back.

> Copyright: I wasn't sure what the right legal way to do this was. The code
> I've written is, although initially based on yours, now significantly
> different. I also didn't know how to correctly assign copyright in derived
> works when using the LGPL-2: does the 'new' author assume all copyright or
> should the copyright be shared or should I include a phrase 'based on code
> copyright Pelle Olofsson'? I simply don't know what the right thing to do
> is.

It is very simple: the copyright belongs to the person who wrote the code
unless he has transferred the rights to someone else. I have never done
that. The code I have written is copyrighted by me, and the code you have
written is copyrighted by you.

I don't think there's any legal or LGPL restrictions on how to write
copyright notices. It's not really that important, it just felt a bit
strange when someone took my code, changed it, and put his copyright
notice on it, even though probably most of the code is written by you now.
But you don't have to add me to the copyright notice if you don't want to.

> Sorry if I caused any offence,

I never put a copyright notice in the code so it's understandable that you
didn't add me in yours. But you really shouldn't be removing email
addresses like that.

Reply via email to