On Monday, 12 March 2018 11:14:24 PDT Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Monday, 12 March 2018 11:10:29 PDT Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 2018 1:04 PM, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macie...@intel.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On Monday, 12 March 2018 09:28:54 PDT Nadavd wrote:
> > > Hi Devs,
> > >
> > > I created an environment that my client is configure to do discovery in
> > > IPv4 only.
> >
> > This is not supported, as OCF certification requires IPv6.
> >
> > IPv6 *support* is mandatory; IPv6 *use* is not. If it were there would be
> > no point to supporting IPv4 also.
>
> Agreed, there's no point in supporting IPv4.

Qualifying a little: there's no point in supporting IPv4 for link-local
discovery. If you do need to cross network boundaries (i.e., route), then IPv4
needs to be supported.

But we currently don't have a need for or a way to do *discovery* across
network boundaries. You can communicate over routed links if you get a
device's IP address from a local Resource Directory. But that RD needs to be
found using link-local multicast in the first place. For that, IPv6 suffices.