On 05/09/2018 02:18 PM, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2018, 2:09 PM George Nash <george.n...@intel.com> wrote:
>
>> Dynamically linking
>> to C++ libraries is currently not  possible on windows. Unfortunately
>> statically linking to the libraries caused multiple copies of the stack to
>> be instantiated when using services. I had to change the linking options
>> back to dynamically linking see https://jira.iotivity.org/browse/IOT-2678
>>
>> Basically the decision was that Android is the primary target for Java
>> language bindings
>

> Nuttin personal, George, I know  you have to work within  constraints. But
> the mind boggles. You cannot target Android until you have a Java API. The
> former uses the latter.

I think it's a matter of approach.  Since the Java API uses JNI to pick
up the C++ libraries, the state of the C++ libraries rather matters.
And to quote Microsoft itself:

"Like a statically linked library, a DLL exports variables, functions
and resources by name, and your app imports those names to use those
variables, functions and resources. Unlike a statically linked library,
Windows connects the imports in your app to the exports in a DLL are
load time or at run time, instead of connecting them at link time. //
Windows requires extra information that isn't part of the standard C++
compilation model //. The Visual C++ compiler implements some
Microsoft-specific extensions to C++ to provide this extra information.

the marked sentence is what George is referring to, unless I've got it
wrong - you have to mark up everything that's to be "exported" from the
library before it works.  That's rather a pain...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links:

View/Reply Online (#9557):
https://lists.iotivity.org/g/iotivity-dev/message/9557