In a production iotivity cloud setup, with many Coap devices connecting to the
cloud, it is very important to make sure that coap devices maintain a
connection to the iotivity cloud as much as possible. Otherwise, after a device
disconnects, it is inaccessible unless a manual operation is performed, which
is not relevant in a a large scale setup. The PING/PONG mechanism seems the
most relevant in this context, I would like to hear your opinions on the
following questions/issues:

1. The cloud exposes an API as to how often the PING/PONG should occur. The
default today is 1,2,4,8 minutes. There is no way to configure less than a
minute. I would like to be able to configure in values measured in seconds vs
minutes. What are your thoughts on this?

2. If a Coap device cannot ping the cloud, it closes the connection. I want to
be able to reinitiate the connection from the device when this happens. There
is no API that updates the application if the PING/PONG failed. Should there be
such API? How about having an option in the iotivity code to automatically try
to connect instead?

3. Today, the devices begin sending a ping request, together with the
sign-up/sign-in request. This means that the cloud answers to ping requestfor
unauthenticated devices. This add overhead of managing devices that have not
finished their sign-in process yet, and also can give a device a false sense
that it is connected, even though for some reason it is not signed in. What are
your thoughts on having the ping being initiated only once the device has
signed in? Moreover, what about having the cloud only provide a proper POING
request to a PING request only if the device is signed in?

4. In the OCF CoAP Native Cloud 2.0 document found here:
https://wiki.iotivity.org/coapnativecloud it says the following:
"OCF CoAP Gateway has to ping the device in the configured time, if pong is not
received after the configured number of retries, then the connection with the
device is closed and device is set as offline"
In this model the gateway ping the devices, as opposed to the current
implementation where the devices ping the gateway/cloud. I think this can put a
very heavy load on the cloud to manage this. What are your opinions about this?

Any other thoughts on this issue of maintaining a live connection between the
devices and the iotivity cloud?