From: Scott King [mailto:scott.k...@fkabrands.com]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 3:17 AM
To: Ondrej Tomcik; 최우제 (Uze Choi); 'John Zhang'; yitzc...@coapp.co.il;
'IoTivity Developer List'
Subject: RE: [dev] Maintaining a connection from Coap devices to the iotivity
cloud

Typing responses in prior emails in the chain tends to make things unreadable
on mobile, so pardon the copy pastes. It seems like a big motivation for these
disagreements is a difference in use cases. Ondrej is working on industrial
sensors, so his required SLA is very different than my employer (and presumably
Samsung) where the price points are lower and SLA’s are less stringent. In a
consumer electronics use case, the most important things are “just working” and
not bothering the end user. While a factory operator may want the redundancy of
a stack light notification and push notification when the sensor gets
disconnected, and be willing to pay the extra cloud hosting costs to get that
feature, it’s pretty uncommon for consumer electronics to provide that
functionality.

Regarding Ping-pong I have a little bit different use case.

Connection can be monitored by API which Ondrej showed in the previous mail.
With this device can reconnect into cloud again.

Cloud can set the policy that device should regularly send the ping message
(regardless of CoAP over TCP signaling or resource request) to make sure the
device is healthy.

Set the policy in the current implementation means – resource /oic/ping hosted
by cloud itself (what is wrong because as written in the specification, OCF
Cloud acts as the simple proxy, hosting resource directory. It’s not the server
which should host its own resources) provides ping configuration, which devices
reads right after connecting to the OCF Cloud. This mechanism shouldn’t be used
at all.

[scott] the OCF cloud spec already talks about hosting oic/sec/account,
oic/sec/session, oic/rd and oic/sec/tokenrefresh resources so it doesn’t seem
like the biggest stretch to add the oic/ping resource too. The iotivity cloud
wiki page has a diagram that describes some sensible behavior for how to
implement this (assuming device is the client and cloud is the server). Also,
it’s a tad strange that oic/ping isn’t mentioned anywhere in the specs despite
its importance and having been in the codebase since 2016.

 <https://wiki.iotivity.org/iotivity_cloud>
https://wiki.iotivity.org/iotivity_cloud

<https://wiki.iotivity.org/_media/ex1_keepalive_for_coap_over_tcp.png?w=300&tok=527f3d>

https://wiki.iotivity.org/_media/ex1_keepalive_for_coap_over_tcp.png?w=300&tok=527f3d

Cloud send the ping message,.. This is very strange… considering Cloud
connection.

Can you explain more why it is strange?

Regarding RFC 8323 ->

Upon receipt of a Ping message, the receiver MUST return a Pong

   message with an identical Token in response.

There isn’t specified who is responsible to do send the ping. Whoever can send
the ping, but recipient should response as soon as practical. Both parties can
send ping in parallel and expect the result. In my opinion, the one who is
interested if the device is there should send the ping and expect the pong. If
the device will send the ping and backend won’t reply, what this information
will be used for? Take it from cloud side, device is there when it responds
with reasonable time for ping. If not, device is marked as offline and user of
the system is informed that device is not available.

[scott] I agree with Uze that it would be strange for cloud=>device ping to be
a default behavior. If the device pings the cloud and doesn’t get a response,
then the device can attempt to reconnect, or at the very least change the value
of its “clec” resource. If the cloud pings the device and doesn’t get a
response, there is nothing the cloud can do to fix the connection. At least as
default behavior, it would seem better to only have the device do pings,
optionally have a “device shadow” with a timestamp kept by the cloud and then
have the cloud lazily determine if the device non-gracefully disconnected when
the cloud tries to route a message to the device. MQTT also seems to focus on
keepalive/ping messages being initiated by the client* and that was originally
designed for oil pipeline sensors sending data over unreliable networks. If you
want the cloud to proactively detect when a device gets disconnected (which is
probably very useful to you) then maybe it’s best to run a separate application
that interfaces with your OCF cloud interface to ping the device? That could be
a valuable, but optional, component of the OCF cloud codebase.

* https://www.hivemq.com/blog/are-your-mqtt-applications-resilient-enough/

* https://www.hivemq.com/blog/mqtt-essentials-part-10-alive-client-take-over

The other point for OCF TCP spec I’d like to say.

CSM signaling, (CSM is the spec on the coap over tcp to handshake the
capability of max send size and BTW.)

>From the spec, 7.01  |  CSM     |  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8323> RFC
>8323  “One CSM MUST be sent by each endpoint at the start of the Transport
>Connection.” from the spec.

When the device connect to the Cloud, it will start the make the session and
setup the tls, then device should send the CSM message and Cloud should send
back the CMS message as handshake as far as CoAP over TCP spec. intends.

But there is no clear comment how to use it CoAP over TCP spec. Furthermore, I
cannot make sure whether cloud also should send the CMS message.

It is mentioned, in the sentence you sent.

There is no rule for this in detail in OCF as of now. One CSM MUST be sent by
each endpoint at the start of the Transport Connection.

For me this means that both parties have to send CSM at the start of the
Transport Connection. But this is CoAP topic, not OCF.

I believe for the feasible interoperability, these also need to be clearly
defined in OCF domain at least.

[scott] @Uze I 100% agree that these specs need to be more clearly defined.
While the spec does say that devices which send/receive larger payloads should
support blockwise, there’s no mention that the device should have CSM messages
indicating blockwise support and max-message-size . There should also be
explicit call outs in the cloud spec about using release, hold-off and abort
messages when a server becomes overloaded.