Hiya,

On 08/07/15 06:36, Yoav Nir wrote:
> Hi, Stephen.
>
> See below.
>
>> On Jul 8, 2015, at 2:15 AM, Stephen Farrell
>> <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

COMMENT:

intro: "gold standard" is being a bit too keen IMO, I'd say
>> toning the language down a bit would be better.
>
> AES is what I get when I’m using IPsec, TLS (at least in browsers and
> SMTP) and SSH with normal tools. It’s what disk encryption schemes
> use and what S/Mime uses. Even the DICE profile names AES as the MTI
> algorithm. Same for the current TLS 1.3 draft and HTTP/2 RFC. When
> Intel was looking to add a cryptographic algorithm to the
> general-purpose CPUs, they chose AES. IBM did the same with mainframe
> CPUs. Any paper describing a new algorithm compares the new
> algorithms to AES. Even here at the IETF we tend to call anything
> else “vanity crypto”. I think “gold standard” is appropriate. I guess
> I could rephrase it as “has become the go-to algorithm for
> encryption”, although that might be too American an idiom.

I like your suggestion to Ben, with two tweaks:

1) s/has become the go-to/is by far the most commonly used/
2) s/but the only choice// - "only" is factually incorrect,
   I could live with "only choice that achieves broad
   interoperability"

>> intro: 3DES may be the "only other widely supported" cipher for
>> IPsec, but that's not true more generally.
>
> Well, this is a document about IPsec. It’s also true for TLS and SSH.
> There’s also the occasional Blowfish and Camelia, but 3DES is more
> common than any of them. There is RC4 and it’s fast, but (1) you
> can’t use that in IPsec, and (2) you don’t want to use that in TLS
> and SSH anyway.

The problem is the word "only" - that is simply not true in general.
I'm not sure if it's true for VPNs. Camellia is widely supported in
browsers for example. So your text ought be fixed.

>> section 2 says: "As the ChaCha20 block function is not applied
>> directly to the plaintext, no padding should be necessary." That
>> "should" could be confusing as written if a reader thinks it means
>> their code doesn't have to do padding. It might be better to e.g.
>> say something like "In theory no padding is needed for this cipher,
>> however, in keeping with…"
>
> I take the point, but I don’t like using “in theory”. How about: As
> the ChaCha20 block function is not applied directly to the plaintext,
> the algorithm does not require any padding. However,

Yep, that's good.

>> section 3: Is "SHOULD inlude no padding" really right?  I'd have
>> thought a MAY was better there.  "MUST accept any length" is also a
>> bit odd - what if I (try:-) add loads of padding?
>
> This pretty much follows the text in RFC 7296: o  Pad Length is the
> length of the Padding field.  The sender SHOULD set the Pad Length to
> the minimum value that makes the combination of the payloads, the
> Padding, and the Pad Length a multiple of the block size, but the
> recipient MUST accept any length that results in proper alignment.
> This field is encrypted with the negotiated cipher. Since there is no
> proper alignment requirements for this algorithm, I take that to mean
> “no padding” but “MUST accept any length”. It’s true that with a
> single-octet byte length you can’t insert more than 255 octets of
> padding, but I don’t thin this has to be spelled out.

Ah fair enough, your text is correct so.

>> Appendices: thanks for those - I assume someone checked them for
>> you? (I didn't:-)
>
> Martin Willi (implementer of StrongSwan) did, and pointed out a
> mistake in a previous version.

Thanks to you both!

Cheers,
S.