Hello,

I’d like to see if the working group has interest in adding support for a list
of split-DNS domains to the configuration payload for IKEv2. Existing
split-tunnel VPN solutions often use a configuration in which only a private
domain is resolved using the VPN’s DNS server, and all other resolutions use
the physical network’s DNS server.

I am aware that there are other solutions to this problem, including:
1. Using DHCP inside the tunnel to get the DNS search domains
2. Use the VPN’s private DNS server for all resolutions
3. Send out all resolutions to both servers
4. Manually configure split domains on client

However, all of these approaches have drawbacks.
1. We have not seen DHCP within the IKEv2 tunnel widely deployed, especially
when almost all of the information is already in the configuration payload
(assigned addresses, routes, and DNS server addresses).
2. Many enterprise’s have DNS servers that only resolve hosts on their private
subnet, so using the internal DNS for all resolutions would require a
significant infrastructure change.
3. Sending out multiple queries increases network traffic, has privacy concerns
(leaking private hostnames on the public network), and performance concerns
(how long to wait for each to return?)
4. Manual configuration is what we currently require for our clients on Mac and
iOS. This, however, does not allow servers to change the configuration
dynamically and is not always exposed as an option to the user.

If people think that it would make sense to add an option to specify multiple
private domains to scope the usage of the DNS server assigned in the
configuration payload, I’d like to write up a draft and see if we can get
server adoption.

Any comments are welcome!

Thanks,
Tommy