I wasn't nearly as clear as I ought to have been; I made some assumptions
without stating them.

There are, of course, multiple possible PPK sources; one is a preconfigured
fixed value in the device; another might be values from a CD-ROM (as others
discussed elsethread); still another might be a quantum key distribution device.

My discussion was solely about the preconfigured fixed value, and I was just
talking about the mapping between 'fixed value' and 'the PPK value you hand to
the PRF'; this fixed value will likely be configured as a string (similar to a
standard preshared key), my question was the mapping of this string to a PPK
value.

Now, obviously, there will be other methods of generating PPKs; for those
alternative methods, they will likely generate large (256 bit or so) uniform
random value; there may be no particular reason to impose any nontrivial
mapping there.  Obviously, talking about ASCII in that context may make no
sense whatsoever.  I don't intend to talk about these alternative methods
directly in the draft (except to provide a hook to add them later).

Does that clarify things?