Hi Paul,

> >> For the 3rd option the ppk_id is constructed using the PPK
> >> itself and a session parameters, e.g. ppk_id = prf(PPK, Ni | Nr).
> >> This would allow the responder to check whether PPK is correct
> >> before verifying AUTH payload.
> >>
> >> In general, having a type value would simplify PPK management in case
> >> a host have PPKs of different types and need to look them up
> >> in different storages.
> >
> > That is one possibility. Should the type be 8-bit or 16-bit? I assume
> > the registry itself should be IANA registry with designated expert
> > review or something like that.
>
> I wouldn't want to broadcast my type of PPK used in IKE_INIT or
> IKE_AUTH, as an active attacker could then learn this information.

She could learn a lot of more useful information - your identity,
traffic selectors, authentication method you are using, your certificates,
Configuration Attributes you request, IKE features you support etc.

Among all this a type of PPK is not very interesting.
Use type "opaque" if you are paranoid about that.

> Paul

Regards,
Valery.