Hello Tero and all,

We discussed internally among the authors and it looks there exist 3
choices - to do PMTUD  over IKE, or ESP or both. (Many reviewers have
already pointed out these at various stages, just collating them here).

PMTUD over IKE is needed anyways for large IKE cert payloads, so if we do
PMTUD over IKE,  we could depend upon the same discovered MTU value for ESP
paths as well as a guidance value. This seems to work for most of the
cases, and there seems to be interest in the group towards this option. So
this looks to be a good option overall, if we tackle IKEv2 window nuances
effectively.

However, one caveat with above approach is that there is an implicit
assumption that paths for control and data traffic  are same (i.e. IP
based, 3 tupple paths).
With SDWAN use cases (wherein paths could be orchestrated based on proto,
port, QoS, App ID etc), would it be a precise  assumption to make? How
would we handle these cases when the paths are build for ESP and IKE
differently?

Thanks,
Shibu.