On Wed, 21 Nov 2018, Paul Wouters wrote:

 I’m also not quite sure how this interacts with delegations. E.g:

 example.com   600 IN NS ns01.internal.example
 And then INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN(internal.example) — if the client runs a
 local
 recursive, does it need to send the query to ns01 though the VPN or not?

I added some text that clarifies dependencies:

    Deployments that configure INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN domains should pay
   close attention to their use of indirect reference RRtypes in their
   internal-only domain names.  Examples of such RRtypes are CNAME,
   DNAME, MX or SRV records.  For example, if the MX record for
   "internal.example.com" points to "mx.internal.example.net", then both
   "internal.example.com" and "internal.example.net" should be sent
   using an INTERNAL_DNS_DOMAIN Configuration Payload.

Paul