>> It's a good question. My idea is that each application document
>> must define this, as well as the order of INTERMEDIATE exchanges,
>> if it matters. So, I assume that by default each application
>> will utilize its own INTERMEDIATE , but some applications could
>> benefit from piggybacking. But this must be clearly described
>> in corresponding document.
>
> I would think it quite differently. Each protocol extension just puts
> payloads in the IKE_SA_INIT and once that one becomes too big, the
> IKE daemon starts to split it up in an IKE_SA_INIT and IKE_INTERMEDIATE.
> This document defines what goes into IKE_SA_INIT, so the rest (eg new
> stuff) ca ngo into IKE_INTERMEDIATE.

I like that idea actually. It would be nice though to have some fixed
order for
additional payloads, as we always had a fixed order for expected payloads.
>> I think that corresponding application document must define this.
>
> I don't see why they would need to do that? For example, imagine I
> add a large notify payload that would cause IKE_SA_INIT fragmentation,
> the IKE daemon looks what payloads to put in IKE_SA_INIT and the
> non-listed Notify payload would be put into one or more
> IKE_INTERMEDIATE exchanges.
Indeed.
I think the main advantage of IKE_INTERMEDIATE could be that specific
"users" would not have to take care of this in their documents because it is
solved once in a generic way.

Regards,
Tobias