I'll paraphrase what I replied to on the ballot proposal deferment thread:

We designed the encapsulation with IPsec/IP-TFS (IP traffic flow security) in
mind. This work defines sending fixed-sized packets at a constant rate
specifically decoupled from the user load to achieve a high degree of traffic
flow security.

To support fixed-sized packets we have Pad blocks, something that is not
required for a generic tunnel encapsulation.

We also are replacing the highly inefficient pad mechanism originally defined
with ESP. To that end we are able to maximize bandwidth by re-using (and
depending on) the existing ESP sequence number to do things such as reordering
the outer packet flow to reassemble the inner fragmented packets.

Other parts of this draft deal directly with other security issues such as how
and when to utilize inner packet IP header values (ECN, DSCP etc.)

If there is a need to have a generic tunneling protocol similar to what we
have, then the INT area is of course free to borrow from this document in
creating their own work. However, as noted above we have made specific design
choices to benefit the intended IPsec/IPTFS use which we have an immediate need
for, and we would *not* benefit from delaying this work, or making the
encapsulation more generic.

Thanks,
Chris.

"Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org> writes:

Dear intarea/int-dir,

I have a request for you about https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/
draft-ietf-ipsecme-iptfs/

While the draft name looks like it is about IPsec, it appears to me
as an “aggregation and fragmentation” tunneling mechanism [1], i.e.,
it uses the ESP Next-header field (an IP protocol per section 2.6 of
RFC 4303 == IPsec ESP) to indicate a next protocol. While the
original intent is to prevent traffic analysis (based on packet size
and rate of packets) by padding/aggregating/fragmenting packets, it
is also a tunnel. This smart technique could be use above other
protocols than ESP.

I have just deferred the IESG evaluation of this document to allow
the int-dir and intarea WG to review this document as it has most
probably escaped your filter during the IETF Last Call.

Thank you very much for your comments (please keep all lists in cc)

Regards

-éric

[1] vaguely related to draft-templin-intarea-parcels