Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-rfc8229bis-07: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-rfc8229bis/

DISCUSS:

Do not panic!

This should be trivial to address, probably by pointing me at something that I
missed (very likely), or by dropping in a sentence to two into the document.

The document starts off with: "This document describes a method to transport
Internet Key Exchange Protocol (IKE) and IPsec packets over a TCP connection
for traversing network middleboxes that may block IKE negotiation over UDP."

As far as I can tell (and again, it is likely that I missed something!) it
doesn't really discuss the fact that the operator may be intentionally blocking
IKE. For example, many enterprises really don't want their users to be building
IPSec tunnels into/out of their network because they want to do DLP,
firewalling, and so they block IKE to block IPSec. This may be a flawed
concept, and you and I may think that it's a losing battle, but I really think
that the document needs to at least discuss that this potentially bypasses
intentional security controls.

See:
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/