That's where Excel or Access take over for me. One nice thing about file
based recordings is that - unlike the recorders of yesteryear - it's easy to
find a specific point in the recording. Gone are the days of an arbitrarty
meter reading that meant one thing on your reel to reel and something else
on your casette recorder.

Result: I just enter into Excel the hours:minutes:seconds of each segment in
the clip. No need to actually make a little file for each segment.
Everything is easy to find.

Chuck