As was reported elsewhere, Thursday morning showed significant improvement from our first three days down in Grayland. With Guy's new QDFA antenna working 100% finally, I'd expect some very nice loggings when he finishes reviewing all of his Perseus recordings. Since I still do things the old fashioned way, I can report fairly fully now...

I thought that things were improved, but still not excellent Thursday morning. For some reason, China seemed to be coming in better than usual, though kind of spottily. Not all of the regular CCs were at their usual strength, yet all of my new stations ( I finally got some) were CNR1 channels... hummmmm.

1170: 1305 UTC, had KPUG, the RKI Korean broadcaster AND CNR1 //5030 all together. I've probably heard this channel before, but I have just recently started keeping a "heard not verified" list and this is a new one there. I also heard this at TOH 1400, with the KPUG call embedded in this UN meeting.

999: 1331UTC. I'm proudest of this reception. I've been watching 999 all fall and it has always been in low level audio, with a major hum spike (louder than the audio) on the low side at 998.90. I pretty-well have to be in LSB to dodge the vestigial signal of semi-local KOMO on 1000, which means that the low side hum pretty well precludes reception. Once before, I've been able to use the incomparable notch filter on the Winradio 333 to clobber the hum spike and recover some audio, even though remaining in LSB because of KOMO. The previous time the audio was NHK1 synchros from one of two 1 kW. JJs. This time, the "real" signal was slightly stronger. I set the notch to be 100 Hz wide and set it on 998.9 and was able to get fairly decent audio from the 999 signal: it was two stations in standard CC and one was CNR1 from Heihe, Manchuria. I think that this is probably the most technically difficult TP reception that I've ever made. The now always present spike on 998.9 is almost certainly the big KCBS North Korean, though I've not heard any audio from that signal this season.

1107: Not a logging - Gary, I listened here quite a bit and had two stations: one playing music almost continually was the S.Korean MBC station, I'm pretty certain. The other station there was a JJ synchro.

1134: I enjoyed another "UN meeting" at 1430 with Japan, South Korea and my first reception of the CNR1 on 1134. PAL lists this as a 1.2 Megawatt tx in Golmud, Qinghai province, over toward northern Tibet... the Chinese equivalent on North Dakota, but wedged between NE Tibet and Mongolia. It is after sunset there, so maybe so??? A new one for me, where ever it is.

1575: I've been watching 1575 for a while. There is often a mid-strength spike on the low side (and no North Korean listed <g>). I did not decipher that spike, but I did catch the CNR1 transmitter in Jilin (Manchuria) doing well under VOA Thailand. Another

I should note that CNR1 is playing a lot of Chinese classical music, often opera, after 1400. It is a real help in IDing //s, especially if the signal you are watching is far underneath a dominant on that frequency. Imagine a herd of cats inside a steel drum, with someone hitting the drum with a ball bat. Sorry if that sounds culturally insensitive. I was on a national delegation to China at the end of the Cultural Revolution and had to attend 8 or 10 two-hour performances (usually on the front row) AND PRETEND TO LIKE THEM. Earplugs would have been excellent.

In any case, the Chinese opera is a great help in IDing //s of CNR1!!!

John Bryant
DXing from Grayland, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array