Got up early this morning (1300 with LSR at about 1530) and decided to check in with our late season phenomenon of having good Japanese reception in the 1200 and 1300 range. Well, it turned out to be Japanese (which died down some by 1500) and Chinese (which came up even more late) and it was pretty darn good. Combining early and late, I had audio of some sort, from somewhere on about 90% of the lower band and about half of the uppere band. It was the bast AM that I've had in a month from here on Orcas.

The most interesting EARLY stuff:

810 was the Russian, big time at 1305... sometimes with KGO beneath, sometimes by itself

846 was the NHK1 synchros (fairly rare) at a fairly low level all morning.

1017, the CRI KK was walking tall early and still doing decently clear to 1530

1323 was CRI Russian // 963 around 1320 (good) and still around at a low level at 1530

1539 was CNR1 early at a fairly low level and built slowly all morning. After 1500 is was a solid 8. This is a new log for me (I think)

1593 was CNR1 early at a very listenable level early and slowly declined throughout the morning.

The most interesting LATE stuff:

594: I had the semi-Chinese, clearly with echo again this AM around 1520. The only thing in PAL that makes sense is two transmitters on Taiwan. NHK was there in the background.

1341: I had CNR1 WITH AND ECHO at about 1515. There is no question about who it was or the fact of the echo. PAL lists a CNR1 near Canton, but it is supposed to change to CRI EE, Tagalog, etc until 1500 and then be silent. There were TWO CNR1s at 1515, no question.

1548: I had audio after a fashion from 1520 to 1525 and it "might" have been Hindi. I've been watching for DW-Sri Lanka here, but doubt that anything that far away will ever punch through nearby 1550.

1575: I enjoyed Farda and VOA again this morning from about 1456 to 1504.... just for the heck of it. Neither made much of a deal of TOH, but each had a single pip at what they believed to be the TOH (about .75 seconds apart.) There has been no repeat of that EE program on VOA at 1500. It must have been a special half hour because of Pres. Obama being in the Far East. In any case, I did stop to think what a rare privilege it is for any of us to sit there and listen to medium wave signals coming from so far afield as Thailand and UAE and mixing on our radios.

Someone made the comment on here that once you hear Farda, you'd always recognize them. I did not understand that, though I'm beginning to suspect that was a West Coast person who only heard traditional Persian music. When I was listening to Farda from Easter Island, they were playing a mixture of old Michael Jackson records and new Farsi rap songs.... I swear! Neither many of us nor the imams would recognize that.....

Well, it was a really great late season morning here on Orcas Island.... and now, I have to go out and chain saw the MAJOR limbs that have been knocked down in the last two storms. (The antennas are still up, though, so my priorities are intact.)

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops