For about five years, I've been using the recording feature built into my
Windows Mobile smartphones. I've never tried jacking into a radio or
something else. Instead I just place the phone near the speaker. It works
surprisingly well.

More recently, I've been trying several iPad/iPhone recording apps. All of
these worth exploring if, say, you want the ability to record DX while on
vacation but don't want to pack a separate recorder.

It's easy to transfer audio files from these devices to a PC or Mac by using
USB or Bluetooth. You also could e-mail them straight from the device if you
keep the file sizes down by using the right bit rate when recording. For
example, my Windows Mobile phone is set at 44.1 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 86 kb/s,
and an 18 minute recording comes out to 1.8 MB.