There are no Spanish pirates in the Boston area that I know of. I know of at least two French-language, the Haitian Crole dialect, actually. One is Radio Soleil Internationale, the other is Radio Top Inter. Soleil has been heard very recently. Both are supposedly in the Boston area, where I believe there must be enough of a Haitian ex-pat population to support it. There's also at least one or two Spanish-language pirates in the U.S. There's evidence one is in the Bronx, and speculation of another in the Norfolk VA area. The one believed to be in CA is apprently running non-stop Spanish religious music with no talk or IDs. I heard this one a few days ago, taped it right through the TOH, with no success at anything IDable. I've also previously heard a station with Spanish talk and music there, seemingly also religious. This may be the Bronx station - and all this presupposes that the two stations are indeed different. I did have strong Spanish music on 1710 during auroral cx with a BOG aimed south, when signals were good to an area from VA to the Caribbean, and out to TN and Mexico.

Saul Chernos
Burnt River ON

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Zuk" <karl...@hotmail.com>
To: <irca@hard-core-dx.com>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Unid on 1710 Saturday

Hi Ken:

It certainly sounds like Spanish to me.
This is, at least, a semi-professional broadcaster.
It has a good bottom-end sonically and it sounds like they know a little about audio production. There is a strong religious pirate in the Bronx of New York City in Spanish on 1710 but your recording is not it. They never sound this good in production and fidelity. The jewish pirate has not been seen in some time. I think they finally gave up after a multi-year run. I could have sworn there was a 1710 on the air from the Caribbean, but I couldn't find anything on-line about it.
It may also be one of the several Spanish pirates from the Boston area.
I'm sure there is someone on our list who knows the Boston market well to comment.

Good luck! Nice recording!

Karl Zuk  N2KZ near NYC