Similarly, KMPX in San Francisco broadcast album-oriented rock back in the
days when it was called underground.  The DJs were generally from Top 40 AM
stations who felt there was more to the music than what could be said in
three minutes or less.  KMPX became very popular in San Francisco, and the
owner decided that the DJs were getting paid too much money.  Out of the
kindness of his heart, he instituted a pay cut and they instituted a
strike.  They pooled their money and bought a floundering classical station
owned by Metromedia named KSAN.  They moved their format from KMPX to KSAN,
and KSAN immediately became the #1 FM station in San Francisco for younger
demographics, and also became the station that was copied in every major
market.  KSAN lasted from 1967 until it went country somewhere around 1980.

Mike Hawkins